"We are pleased to be in a position to create more than 1,200 jobs, as Kohl's continues to grow and build market share in a challenging economy," said Kevin Mansell, Kohl's chairman, president and chief executive officer. "We continue to bring customers new stores where they can enjoy quality national and exclusive brands at exceptional values. Additionally, we are investing in our existing store base, to keep the customer experience fresh and exciting, by remodeling 100 stores this year alone."
Growth and Expansion
Kohl’s marks another year of growth by adding nine stores in seven states – Illinois, New York, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin – and plans to open a total of approximately 40 new stores in 2011. In addition to the new store openings this spring, Kohl’s continues to invest in its existing store base, remodeling approximately 100 stores in 2011, an 18 percent increase from 2010.
The Real Value of Kohl’s – Commitment to Customers
At Kohl’s, it’s not just what customers save, it’s about what they get. Every day Kohl’s provides customers with an unconditional shopping experience through Kohl’s quality world-class national and exclusive brands, unique savings tools, unbeatable policies, customer conveniences, Kohl's Cares cause program and a commitment to environmental responsibility.
World-Class National and Exclusive Brands
Kohl’s world-class national and exclusive brands include Levi’s, Carter’s, Nike, adidas, Bali, Simply Vera Vera Wang, Food Network, Bobby Flay, LC Lauren Conrad, ELLE Contemporary Collection, ELLE DECOR, Chaps, Dana Buchman, Candie’s, Tony Hawk, Apt. 9, Jumping Beans, SONOMA life + style, Cuisinart, KitchenAid and more.
Shoppers can take advantage of the company’s unique offerings, some of which include:
Unparalleled Savings Opportunities
- Kohl’s Cash® – For every $50 spent (in store or online) shoppers get $10 Kohl's Cash back that can be used towards any future purchase in store or on Kohls.com. Good on all merchandise, brands and sale prices. It's like getting paid to shop!
- Power Hours and Early Birds – During limited hours, Kohl's offers the lowest prices of the week on select items or categories.
- Kohl’s Charge – Kohl's Charge customers receive a number of exclusive benefits. In addition to getting extra savings on their first purchase, shoppers also receive Pick-Your-Day shopping passes and special event discounts throughout the year.
- Only-at-Kohl’s Brands – Kohl’s powerful brand portfolio includes quality private and exclusive brands at exceptional values such as Simply Vera Vera Wang, LC Lauren Conrad, Food Network, ELLE Contemporary Collection, ELLE DECOR, Dana Buchman, Candie’s, Tony Hawk, Apt. 9, Chaps, Jumping Beans and SONOMA life + style. Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony brands will be launching exclusively at Kohl’s in fall 2011.
- An Industry-Leading, Hassle-Free Return Policy – Kohl’s has an industry-leading return policy that gives customers a quick, convenient and “no questions asked” experience. Customers returning merchandise with receipts or items purchased with Kohl’s Charge cards are eligible to receive full refunds or even exchanges, while customers without a receipt will receive Kohl’s merchandise credit.
- No Exclusions – There are no brand exclusions when using offers like Kohl’s Cash or Kohl’s Charge card discounts.
- Kohls.com – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, shoppers have access to the exciting merchandise, tremendous values and customer conveniences available on Kohls.com, including functionality for customer reviews and ratings and online redemption of Kohl’s Cash.
- Extended Shopping Hours – Kohl’s opens early and closes late so shoppers can take advantage of great in-store savings when it’s most convenient.
- Kohl’s Kiosk – Buy, Save and Ship it for Free – Kohl’s Kiosks located in all stores make it easy to shop with confidence. Customers can choose from an expanded assortment of styles, sizes, colors and merchandise that may not be available in stores. In addition, items ordered from Kohl’s in-store kiosks ship free of charge in the U.S.
Kohl’s commitment to customers has been recognized by the National Retail Federation* for the past six years on its list of retailers that offer the best customer service. In addition, Kohl’s has ranked among the top retailers in the University of Michigan’s** customer satisfaction survey for nine consecutive years, including ranking number one among mid-tier department stores in 2010.
Kohl’s Cares® – Community and Environmental Commitment
Kohl’s cares and strives to be an active member in the cities and towns where Kohl’s does business. Through charitable giving and volunteer programs for kids’ health and education and environmental initiatives, Kohl’s is making its communities happier, healthier, greener places to live and work. Kohl’s supports local communities through Kohl’s Cares® philanthropic programs which include:
- Kohl’s Cares Cause Merchandise Program – Throughout the year, Kohl’s sells kid-friendly cause merchandise, with 100 percent of the net profit donated to support children’s health and education initiatives. Since 2000, more than $180 million has been raised nationwide through our Kohl's Cares® cause merchandise program.
- Kohl’s Cares Associates in Action Program – Kohl’s Associates make a difference by volunteering in their communities and partnering with qualified nonprofits. More than 385,000 associates have donated more than 1.2 million hours of their time since 2001 and Kohl’s has donated more than $35 million to nonprofits throughout the nation.
- Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program – Kohl’s also recognizes and rewards youth volunteers. Since 2001 Kohl’s has awarded more than $2.6 million in scholarships and prizes to more than 13,000 youth volunteers through the Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program, and will recognize more than 2,100 kids this year with more than $415,000 in scholarships and prizes.
- Kohl’s Cares Fundraising Gift Card Program – Kohl’s has also raised more than $32 million for youth organizations through fundraising gift cards.
- Kohl’s Cares Advancing Environmental Solutions – Kohl’s is committed to being a leading environmentally responsible retailer and to protecting and conserving the environment. Kohl’s has 92 stores nationwide built according to a prototype that received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) initial certification at the Silver level from the United States Green Building Council. Eight of the nine new stores Kohl’s is opening this spring were built according to that prototype.
Named 2010 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for Energy Management by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and U.S. Department of Energy and recognized with EPA Green Power Leadership awards for four consecutive years, Kohl’s places a strong emphasis on energy efficiency and the use and support of renewable energy. The company currently ranks first in retail, second overall and second among Fortune 500 companies on EPA's quarterly rankings of top green power purchasers. Kohl's is the largest retail host of solar power in North America with more than 100 solar locations. In addition, more than 550 Kohl's stores have earned EPA’s ENERGY STAR label for superior energy efficiency and environmental performance.
About Kohl’s Department Stores
Based in Menomonee Falls, Wis., Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store offering moderately priced, exclusive and national brand apparel, shoes, accessories, beauty and home products in an exciting shopping environment. With a commitment to environmental leadership, Kohl’s operates 1,097 stores in 49 states. In support of the communities it serves, Kohl’s has raised more than $180 million for children’s initiatives nationwide through its Kohl’s Cares® cause merchandise program, which operates under Kohl's Cares, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. For a list of store locations and information, or for the added convenience of shopping online, visit www.Kohls.com.
* The NRF Foundation (NRFF) is the research and education arm of the National Retail Federation. A nonprofit foundation created in 1981, the Foundation conducts industry research, develops education and workforce development programs, professional certification programs and promotes retailing as a career destination.
**The National Quality Research Center (NQRC) at the University of Michigan Business School is a research and teaching center focusing on the measurement of customer satisfaction and the study of its relationships to quality, customer retention, profitability and productivity for private and public sector organizations, for specific industries and for national economies.
New store locations opening this spring include:
March 9 Store Openings:
Mt. Vernon, Ill.
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Union Gap, Wash.
Rice Lake, Wis.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6639420&lang=en