DUBLIN & CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Northern Trust (Nasdaq: NTRS) announced today that it reached an agreement to acquire the fund administration, investment operations outsourcing and custody business of the Bank of Ireland Group, Bank of Ireland Securities Services (BOISS). Northern Trust will pay up to €60 million (approximately US$82 million) to acquire the business.
The acquisition, which is subject to applicable regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions, is anticipated to close in the second quarter of 2011. It is anticipated that on completion of the transaction, Northern Trust’s combined assets under custody and administration in Ireland will increase by approximately €70 billion (approximately US$96 billion).
“Ireland is one of the largest European domiciles for cross-border fund administration,” Northern Trust Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Frederick H. Waddell said. “We look forward to combining this business with our existing activities in Ireland and continuing to provide the exceptional client service and solutions for which Northern Trust and Bank of Ireland Securities Services are both known.”
Bank of Ireland Securities Services is the largest Irish-owned asset administration provider and is based in Dublin. The business provides specialised, client-driven services to a broad range of funds, including mutual money-market, multi-manager, exchange-traded funds, and property funds, serving both the on-shore and off-shore markets.
“This acquisition will enhance and expand Northern Trust’s Global Fund Service capabilities, particularly in the key areas of fund administration and the support of ETFs,” said Steven Fradkin, President of Corporate and Institutional Services at Northern Trust. “We look forward to working with our new clients and drawing upon the intellectual capital and depth of leadership talent that Bank of Ireland Securities Services will bring to our already successful operations in Ireland.”
Northern Trust has been providing custody and fund administration services to clients from its Dublin office since 2000 and opened its Limerick operations in 2006.
About Northern Trust
Northern Trust Corporation (Nasdaq: NTRS) is a leading provider of investment management, asset and fund administration, banking solutions and fiduciary services for corporations, institutions and affluent individuals worldwide. Northern Trust, a financial holding company based in Chicago, has offices in 18 U.S. states and 16 international locations in North America, Europe, the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region. As of December 31, 2010, Northern Trust had assets under custody of US$4.1 trillion, and assets under investment management of US$643.6 billion. For 121 years, Northern Trust has earned distinction as an industry leader in combining exceptional service and expertise with innovative products and technology. For more information, visit www.northerntrust.com.
Northern Trust Corporation, Head Office: 50 South La Salle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60603 U.S.A, incorporated with limited liability in the U.S.A.
The Northern Trust Company, London Branch (reg. no. BR001960), Northern Trust Global Investments Limited (reg. no. 03929218) and Northern Trust Global Services Limited (reg. no. 04795756) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
The material within and any linked material accessed via this communication is directed to eligible counterparties and professional clients only and should not be distributed to or relied upon by retail investors. For Asia-Pacific markets, it is directed to institutional investors, expert investors and professional investors only and should not be relied upon by retail investors.
- Northern Trust (Guernsey) Limited, Northern Trust Fiduciary Services (Guernsey) Limited, and Northern Trust International Fund Administration Services (Guernsey) Limited are licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission.
- Northern Trust International Fund Administrators (Jersey) Limited and Northern Trust Fiduciary Services (Jersey) Limited are regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission.
- Northern Trust International Fund Administration Services (Ireland) Limited and Northern Trust Fiduciary Services (Ireland) Limited are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
- Northern Trust Global Services Limited has a Netherlands Branch which is authorised and regulated in the Netherlands by De Nederlandsche Bank.
- Northern Trust Global Services Limited has a Luxembourg Branch which is authorised and regulated by the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF).
- Northern Trust Luxembourg Management Company S.A. is regulated by the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF).
- Northern Trust Global Services Limited operates in Abu Dhabi as a Representative Office, Licence number 13/238/2008 which is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of the United Arab Emirates.
- The Northern Trust Company operates in Canada as The Northern Trust Company, Canada Branch which is an authorized foreign bank branch under the Bank Act (Canada). Trustee related services in Canada are provided by the wholly owned subsidiary The Northern Trust Company, Canada, an authorized trust company under the Trust & Loans Companies Act (Canada). Deposits with The Northern Trust Company and its affiliates and subsidiaries are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- The Northern Trust Company operates in Australia as a foreign authorised deposit-taking institution (foreign ADI) and is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.
- The Northern Trust Company of Hong Kong Limited is a securities company regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission.
- The Northern Trust Company has a Singapore Branch which is a foreign wholesale bank regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- The Northern Trust Company has a branch in China regulated by the China Banking Regulatory Commission
- Northern Trust Global Investments Japan, K.K. is regulated by the Japan Financial Services Agency.
- Northern Trust Global Services Ltd (UK) Sweden Filial is Authorised by the Financial Services Authority and subject to regulation by the Finansinspektionen.
- Northern Trust Global Investments Limited has a Netherlands branch which is authorised by the Financial Services Authority and subject to regulation in The Netherlands by the Autoriteit Financiële Markten.
- Northern Trust Global Investments Limited has a Sweden branch which is authorised by the Financial Services Authority and subject to regulation in Sweden by the Finansinspektionen.