SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Results from a Jumpstart Automotive Group study with Subaru reveal that automotive marketers can significantly benefit from sponsorship placements on third-party car shopping properties – driving stronger metrics for consideration, share of shopping, leads submitted and overall ad performance.
According to Jumpstart representatives, the study – comprised of results from its Subaru's In-Market Success Story case study and an analysis of online visitor behaviors across Jumpstart's network of 14 automotive sites – uncovers significant opportunities for automotive marketers.
These opportunities include:
- The ability to increase awareness of a particular brand within a specific category or segment much earlier in the car buying process.
- The ability to increase awareness among competitive brand shoppers much earlier in the car buying process.
- The ability to increase retention among car buyers who are already considering a particular brand.
According to Joe Kyriakoza, Jumpstart's Vice President of Marketing Communications and Insights, Subaru has run more traditional ad campaigns across specific make and model pages in the company's network, but late last year it experimented with home page ads and vehicle category ads or "segment sponsorships" – placements that influence car buyers much earlier in the shopping process – for its Legacy and Outback models.
The Jumpstart study focused more heavily on the results of the Outback campaign since the Legacy campaign took place during the government CARS or Cash-for-Clunkers program. The Outback campaign spanned one month and delivered the following highlights:
- Consideration: Subaru Outback shoppers increased 24% from the month prior to sponsorship.
Share of Shoppers: Outback’s share of Wagon and Crossover
shoppers on Jumpstart sites grew 14% during the month of their
- During the same period, key competitors saw decreases of 5-11%.
Cross- and Reverse Cross-Shopping Activity: Shoppers of
competing brands also considering Outback increased from 6% to 90%
during the month-long campaign.
- During this same period many competitors fell in consideration of Outback shoppers, namely Volvo XC70 (-9%), Honda CR-V (-17%) and Hyundai Santa Fe (-27%).
Request-a-Quote Leads Submitted: Leads submitted for Outback
during the campaign month by Jumpstart shoppers grew a staggering 162%
from during the month of the program, while all Jumpstart leads that
month only grew by approximately 2%.
- This pushed Subaru’s lead totals overall to plus-63% in share of leads on Jumpstart properties, and 84% growth in volume after having been down nearly 70% the prior month.
Marketer Metrics: Outback’s campaign was successful not only in
driving greater consideration and purchase intent on Jumpstart
properties, but also in delivering stronger performance on model page
ads, increasing engagement with ads on those pages of up to 56% and
driving people to the Subaru.com website.
- Those that arrived at Subaru.com from the Jumpstart model page ads drove post-click activity up 38% during the month of their sponsorship.
- Retail Sales: As part of Outback’s launch program, Jumpstart’s ability to deliver consumers who are ready to buy aided Subaru in growing Outback retail sales by 29% in the month of the sponsorship, followed by growth clips of 9% and 14% in the two subsequent months, according to Polk.
"Subaru’s segment sponsorship results for Outback proved that a well-executed campaign can improve metrics at all points in the funnel," said Kyriakoza.
About Jumpstart Automotive Group
Jumpstart Automotive Group, part of Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., is an expert automotive marketing company. It represents the broadest and most diverse audience of in-market car shoppers and influencers across 15 automotive websites that include Vehix, Consumer Guide Automotive, JD Power Autos, Shopping.com Autos, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Cycle World, CarSoup.com, U.S.News.com, HybridCars, CarGurus, TrueCar, PlugInCars, Overstock.com Cars and Leftlane Autos. Fueled by a passion for performance, Jumpstart Automotive Group is committed to the development of quality content and services for consumers and to maximizing publisher revenue and advertiser results through innovative products and services. Additionally, Jumpstart has been on the forefront of behavioral targeting and is now developing leading research and strategic insights products. For more information, visit JumpstartAutomotiveGroup.com.