HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As holiday festivities conclude, there comes an abundance of waste. In fact, the extra waste produced during the holidays amounts to about one million additional tons per week, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
From gift wrapping to product packaging to holiday decorations, it’s important for everyone to know the correct way to manage these items before taking anything to the curb. To help residents, Waste Management’s recycling experts have a few simple do’s and don’ts:
- Gift wrapping. Do recycle paper-based wrapping and reuse gift bags. Do not put bows, ribbons and cellophane wrapping in your curbside recycling container.
- Product packaging. Do recycle cardboard packaging. Do not place wires, foam and/or loose plastics in your recycling container.
- Decorations. Do pack up holiday decorations for reuse next year. Don’t place glass ornaments or strings of lights into the recycling bin.
- Christmas trees. Check with your city to see if a tree recycling program is active. If one is not, consider mulching Christmas trees and then donating the mulch to a local school’s garden.
- Recycle Often. Recycle Right.SM Learn the basics of proper recycling year-round by visiting RecycleOftenRecycleRight.com, where residents can find out what items can go in their recycling containers, and which ones to avoid. In addition, WM invites citizens to share their recycling tips and ask questions via Twitter and Instagram, using hashtag #RORR.
By making a commitment to go green, any household can enter 2015 with a renewed commitment to help preserve the environment for families and future generations.
ABOUT WASTE MANAGEMENT
Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management visit www.wm.com or www.thinkgreen.com.