Open Source Middleware Administrator
Job Title: Open Source Middleware Administrator
Business Wire is seeking Open Source Middleware Administrator who will be responsible for the installation, configuration, patching and day-to-day operation of web software infrastructure components in a LINUX based, high availability, 24x7 environment, with a heavy emphasis on Drupal and Aegir. This person will work with application developers, network engineers, system administrators and database administrators to understand their requirements and deliver robust high availability solutions that are cost effective.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure, patch, and tune middleware components such as Apache, Drupal, Aegir, Memcache, Varnish, and PHP.
- Install, configure, patch, tune, and use middleware monitoring components such as Foglight and Splunk.
- Uncover poor performing code and work with development to correct
- Monitor resource utilization and recommend system upgrades when necessary
- Monitor system logs and take/recommend corrective action for any problems
- Recommend and implement patches for 3rd party and open source software
- Develop robust monitoring solutions for failure analysis and capacity planning
- Develop scripts to automate routine administrative tasks
- Insure compliance with vendor license model
- Propose and justify Middleware technology cost-saving techniques
- Liaison with vendor support organizations and open source communities for trouble-shooting, patching, and research
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Participate in business continuity planning.
- 3+ years of progressively responsible web infrastructure experience
- Solid understanding of a LINUX operating system, system infrastructure and tuning
- Experience with Apache admin tasks including installation, configuration, and patching
- Experience with Drupal
- Experience with Aegir
- Experience with monitoring software (ex. Nagios/Cacti)
- Knowledge of PHP
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, shell, etc.)
- Knowledge of Splunk or Foglight is a plus
- Knowledge of Varnish or memcached (or other reverse proxy and data caching tools) is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work productively in teams
- Independent problem-solving, self-directed
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly with minimal support and guidance
- Must be able to demonstrate reliability through consistent punctuality and good attendance
- Must be able to work effectively with a diverse group of people
Send a resume and cover letter (word format, preferable) to:
Via E-mail: MWE@businesswire.com;
Subject: Open Source Middleware Administrator
No phone calls.
Business Wire agrees and represents that it will provide equal employment practices and the contractor and each subcontractor hereunder will ensure that in his or her employment practices persons are employed and employees are treated equally and without regard to or because of race, religion, ancestry , national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition