CARDIFF BY THE SEA, Calif.--()--With more Americans saying they will travel during the Memorial Day weekend than last year, according to AAA's recent national survey, the risk of accidents and costly tickets will rise dramatically, making Trapster, the world's most downloaded driving related app, a virtual necessity. Since it is free, and available on all major smartphone platforms (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Nokia, Palm WebOS, Windows Mobile and more), there's really nothing to lose.
Travel will be up this year, thanks to hopefulness about the economic recovery and discounts from resorts and airlines. An Automobile Club of Southern California survey showed an increase of 7.8 percent more travelers in the that region alone.
But with more travelers, there's risk. Last year, Texas Troopers arrested more than 600 drivers on drunk driving charges, and wrote more than 8,500 speeding tickets.
That's why Trapster is vital this weekend, and heading into the Summer. It is the first location-based application that alerts users in real time when they approach speed traps or red-light cameras, accidents, road hazards, and more. Trapster is World's largest social network for drivers. It takes advantage of user input and the power of the community to generate the information, and also to arbitrate the veracity of that information. Trapster also provides turn-by-turn directions, real-time traffic, gas stations, banks, rest stops, local search and more.
Because Trapster is growing dramatically -- it adds 20,000 new users per day, and Trapster users are entering an average of 8,000 traps each day -- user confidence in the system also continues to soar. In fact, this Memorial Day weekend Trapster will pass the 6 million user mark! Indeed there are more Trapster users than popular social applications Gowalla, FourSquare, and Loopt combined.
Here are some of Trapster's safety tips for the weekend:
1. Checkpoints. Trapster shows safety checkpoints, which serves as a useful reminder not to drink and drive, and to call a cab; for those who haven't been drinking, it saves time dealing with the subsequent delays.
2. Traffic. Use Trapster's real time traffic overlay feature to check where there is heavy congestion.
3. Driving to an unfamilar city? Make sure to use Trapster to check the area for red light cameras, speed traps, enforcement points and speed cameras before you get there.
4. Safe Driving. Use a car dock and charger when running Trapster. Also, know where it's legal to mount your car dock. In California, for example, you have to have it mounted in the lower corner of your window.
5. If you are traveling to your destination with family and friends in other cars, let Trapster’s Caravan feature help you all get there safer. With Caravan, see friends and other Trapster users in real time on the map, and then easily send them audio messages, and even photos.