CAMDEN, N.J.--()--Episode three of Bravo's Top Chef: New York featured a soup-er Quickfire Challenge that really stirred up the competition. Guest judge, Grant Achatz -- chef and owner of Alinea Restaurant in Chicago -- threw the cheftestants a curve ball when he changed the challenge mid-way through the competition, asking them to create a soup using Swanson broth and the ingredients they had on hand. Leah Cohen, a sous chef from Scarsdale, NY, had no trouble thinking on her feet and bowled over the judges with her Chilled White Asparagus Soup. This was Leah’s first Quickfire Challenge win.
“We’ll be featuring the winning and four additional recipes developed for the Quickfire Challenge on the Swansonbroth.com website. We congratulate Chef Cohen and all of this season’s Top Chef: New York competitors and we celebrate their passion for great cooking.”
Chef Achatz was particularly impressed with Leah’s ability to create a delicious soup with white asparagus, a challenging ingredient even for experienced chefs. As a reward for winning the Swanson Quickfire Challenge, Leah was granted immunity and will be safe from elimination in the next show.
Swanson broth is a new sponsor of Top Chef: New York. “Top Chef’s loyal audience is a great match with the Swanson broth consumer that is confident in their cooking skills and likes to stretch themselves in the kitchen,” said Chris McGown, Swanson Brand Manager. “We’ll be featuring the winning and four additional recipes developed for the Quickfire Challenge on the Swansonbroth.com website. We congratulate Chef Cohen and all of this season’s Top Chef: New York competitors and we celebrate their passion for great cooking.”
Leah Cohen’s Chilled White Asparagus Soup with Brioche, Tuna and Olive Tapenade
High-resolution image is available upon request
White Asparagus Soup
2 bunches white asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup Swanson chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
salt to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1. Heat up butter, add shallots and white asparagus. Sweat.
2. Add chicken broth and cook until tender.
3. Blend in a blender or vitamix; pass through chinoise.
4. Add the cream and chill in ice bath.
5. Once the soup is chilled, finish with salt, lime juice and cayenne.
Nicoise olives, minced
3 tablespoons chives, minced
juice of half a lemon, plus zest
1/4 cup of olive oil
Brioche bread loaf
1. Punch out a round piece of brioche about 2 inches thick.
2. Toast brioche in butter and oil.
3. Add garlic and thyme at the end.
4. Cook until crunchy.
1. Place white asparagus soup in a bowl.
2. Add brioche.
3. Put thin slice of tuna punched out with the same ring cutter as the brioche.
4. Plate a little tapenade on top of tuna, then lay another piece of punched out tuna on top, creating a sandwich.
5. Make a small salad of wild baby arugula, lemon juice and olive oil.
6. Place salad on top of tuna.
7. Sprinkle a little smoked paprika around the white asparagus soup for garnish.
About Campbell Soup Company
Campbell Soup Company is a global manufacturer and marketer of high quality foods and simple meals, including soup, baked snacks and vegetable-based beverages. Founded in 1869, the company has a portfolio of market-leading brands, including “Campbell’s,” “Swanson,” “Pepperidge Farm,” “Arnott’s” and “V8.” For more information on the company, visit Campbell’s website at www.campbellsoup.com.