Reliant Summer Tips to Cool the Kitchen and Save Energy
-Simple Measures Can Help Reduce Energy Usage in Last Days of Summer-
HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Texas heat has staying power. And though fall’s crisp air will soon arrive, remaining aware of home energy usage during the final “dog days” of summer can help with continued energy savings. This is especially true for the kitchen, usually the home’s most popular room and also one full of energy-saving opportunities.
“Regardless of the occasion, the kitchen is typically the ‘command central’ for family gatherings”
“Regardless of the occasion, the kitchen is typically the ‘command central’ for family gatherings,” said Elizabeth Killinger, President of NRG Retail and Reliant. “That’s why it’s the perfect location for everyone to collaboratively work together and make small, energy-saving changes that can have a big impact on how families think about and manage energy for generations to come.”
Reliant, an NRG company, has several strategies to help everyone save energy in the kitchen, which can contribute to overall energy savings:
- Running your dishwasher when it’s full (instead of only partially full) is an easy way to conserve electricity and water.
- Avoid placing your freezer in the garage, where temperatures can soar causing the freezer to work overtime using more electricity.
- Replace a refrigerator that is more than 15 years old. A new refrigerator can be as much as 40 percent more energy efficient than older models.
- Ensure your covered pans have tight-fitting lids that allow food to cook faster, reducing energy usage.
- Use a slow-cooker to cook stews and other single-dish meals. This helps save on electricity since a slow-cooker uses less electricity than a stove top.
Reliant provides electricity, smart energy solutions, and energy services to business and residential customers across Texas. Reliant is part of NRG (NYSE: NRG), a Fortune 500 company that is at the forefront of changing how people think about, buy and use energy. Backed by a diverse portfolio of about 100 power generating facilities that can support over 46 million homes nationwide, NRG’s retail businesses, including Reliant, collectively comprise Texas’ largest retail energy provider and serve almost 3 million customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia. For more information about Reliant products and services, please visit www.reliant.com. Connect with Reliant on Facebook at www.facebook.com/reliantenergy and on Twitter @reliantenergy. PUCT Certificate #10007