High-Performing Physicians Reduce Workers’ Compensation Costs by an Average of 20%
Breakthroughs in Finding the Best Doctors, Legislative Updates on CA SB863, and Tools for Physicians to Manage Care Focus of 2014 Harbor Health Systems’ Medical Director Meeting
IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Identifying the best doctors to treat workers’ compensation patients, updates on legislation impacting physician networks, and tools for doctors to better manage these cases were presented at the 2014 Harbor Health Systems’ Medical Director Meeting. Harbor Health Systems, a One Call Care Management company, hosted the conference in Laguna Beach, California on July 30th.
“We are truly at a tipping point in transforming care for injured workers by improving outcomes, lowering costs and getting these employees back to work quickly”
“We are truly at a tipping point in transforming care for injured workers by improving outcomes, lowering costs and getting these employees back to work quickly,” said Gregory Moore, M.P.H., President and CEO of Harbor Health Systems. “We have the technology to measure case outcomes by physician, the ability to get injured workers to see these physicians quickly, and the systems to keep the care plan on track for a fast and safe recovery. Regulatory initiatives like CA SB863 make it possible for employers to use these high-performing physicians without the burdens of compliance and administration.”
Analysis of Harbor’s data over a five-year period shows that physicians who have high scores in producing superior outcomes also reduce medical costs by an average of 20 percent. Previous studies have shown that treatment by these physicians also shortens the duration of the claim, and reduces indemnity costs.
Attended by nearly 100 medical directors, physicians, and workers’ compensation experts and executives, the conference fostered discussion on topics such as what qualities make a high-performing physician, what tools will support physicians to be better overall managers of workers’ compensation cases, and how the increase in obesity and co-morbid factors is changing care management and treatment.
Speakers from this event included:
- Teresa Bartlett, M.D., Senior Vice President Medical Quality, Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
- Theodore Blatt, M.D., FAAOS , Medical Director, Harbor Health Systems
- Mary Jane DeMill, Occupational Orthopedic Medical Group
- Jeff Flanegin, Senior Vice President Sales, East Division, One Call Care Management
- George Furlong, Senior Vice President Managed Care Program Outcomes Analysis, Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
- Kevin Glennon, Vice President of Clinical Education & Quality Assurance Programs, One Call Care Management
- Lori Kammerer, Legislative Advocate and Workers' Compensation and Health Policy Director, Kammerer & Company
- Yvonne Lavadores, Work Comp Team Manager, Disney Parks and Resorts
- Michael Meng, Apax Partners
- Gregory Moore, M.P.H., President and CEO, Harbor Health Systems
- Leo E. Nacelli, Jr., B.S., Vice President, Product Design, Harbor Health Systems
- Bernyce Peplowski, M.D., Medical Director, US HealthWorks
- Terri Riley, Senior Vice President Managed Care Practices and Client Services, Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
- Kent Spafford, Board of Directors Advisor, One Call Care Management
- Kayvon Yadidi, M.D., Medical Director, Proactive Work Health Services
The event was co-sponsored by Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. Videos of the talks will be available online after the event. For more information, visit the Harbor Health Systems website at www.harborhealthsystems.com. Follow Harbor Health Systems on social channels including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
About Harbor Health Systems
Harbor Health Systems, a One Call Care Management company based in Irvine, Calif., leads a revolution in medical networks that allows customers to build and manage a medical system based on quality performance of providers rather than the “lowest bidder medicine” that is typical of PPOs and HMOs. Harbor Health builds and manages outcomes-based medical networks, and supplies the tools, software and services to help their customers build, implement and optimize custom networks. With Harbor Health Systems, companies can identify physicians and other medical professionals who have exceptional skills in clinical, patient care and business management. By working with these healthcare professionals, payers and self-insured employers can greatly reduce the cost of care, complications, and time away from work. For more information, visit Harborhealthsystems.com.
About One Call Care Management
One Call Care Management (One Call) is the nation’s leading provider of specialized solutions to the workers’ compensation industry that lead to faster, more efficient and more cost-effective claims resolution. One Call provides reliable, consistent connections to care including high end diagnostics, physical therapy and transportation services, post-discharge home care and durable medical equipment, dental and doctor specialty services, complex care management, and the language services required for today’s multicultural workforce. With a focus on injured workers’ needs across the continuum of care, One Call enables maximum medical improvement and superior outcomes. For more information, visit www.onecallcm.com.