Research and Markets: UK Ophthalmic Goods & Services Market Update 2014-2018
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/bzwmg4/ophthalmic_goods) has announced the addition of the "Ophthalmic Goods & Services Market Update 2014" report to their offering.
“Ophthalmic Goods & Services Market Update 2014”
In the UK, around two-thirds of adults need to wear glasses and/or contact lenses, with the majority of them opting for spectacles, or at least having a pair in addition to their lenses. This Market Update examines the market for ophthalmic goods and services in the UK, covering corrective eyewear, such as spectacles, contact lenses and prescription sunglasses. The report excludes eyewashes, eye drops, contact lens care products and cleaning supplies.
Demographic trends, including the UK's ageing population and rising rates of obesity and diabetes, have created increased demand for ophthalmic goods and services. Older people are more likely to suffer from age-related eyesight issues, such as cataracts and glaucoma. Consequently, the ageing population promoted increased demand for sight tests and prescription glasses, as older people are more likely to need corrective eyewear, including bifocal and varifocal lenses.
In addition, the number of contact lenses wearers in the UK has steadily increased over the past 20 years, from 1.6 million people in 1992, to 3.7 million people in 2012. Growth has been driven by advances in ophthalmology and developments in technology. In terms of wearers' choice of contact lenses, soft frequent replacement lenses were the most popular, with 1.7 million contact lenses wears using this type in 2012, followed by daily disposables, at 1.6 million.
Corrective eyewear is subjected to heavy discounting, which combined with the increasing availability of free eye tests offered by both supermarket chains and retail outlets has restrained value growth of the market. It is estimated that the market for ophthalmic goods and services in the UK increased by 3% in 2013. The ophthalmic goods sector (including spectacles and contact lenses) is the largest in terms of value, and accounted for 86.1% of the market total in that year, with the remaining 13.9% being made up by ophthalmic services.
This report projects that over the next 5 years, the UK ophthalmic goods and services market will see year-on-year growth. This growth will be driven, mainly, by the UK's rapidly ageing population and increasing rates of diabetes, as well as research and development (R&D) activity in ophthalmology and eye care.
Key Topics Covered:
- Executive Summary
- Market Definition
- Market Size
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
- Current Issues
- Company Profiles
- Alcon Eye Care Uk Ltd
- Bausch And Lomb Uk Ltd
- Boots Opticians Professional Services Ltd
- Carl Zeiss Vision Uk Ltd
- Coopervision Ltd
- Essilor Ltd
- Johnson And Johnson Ltd
- Optical Express Ltd
- Scrivens Ltd
- Specsavers Optical Superstores Ltd
- Vision Express (Uk) Ltd
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/bzwmg4/ophthalmic_goods