Research and Markets: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018 - How Does the Patent Expiration of Rilutek Effect the ALS Market?
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/l4m4z9/opportunityanalyze) has announced the addition of the "OpportunityAnalyzer: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018" report to their offering.
“OpportunityAnalyzer: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018”
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a rare, but fatal, motor neuron disease (MND) characterized by axonal degeneration and progressive loss of motor neurons. ALS affects both the upper (brain to spinal cord) and lower (brain stem to muscle tissue) motor neurons, gradually reducing a patient's ability to initiate and control muscle movement. Muscle atrophy, starting in the periphery (arms and legs), ultimately leads to complete paralysis after several years of progressive worsening of muscle strength.
Respiratory failure is the most common cause of death, as smooth muscle function becomes affected when the disease is in its final stages. The progressively degenerative course of the condition is a great burden for both patients and caregivers, as well as for society. ALS usually affects people age =40 years, and has a worldwide incidence of about two cases per 100,000 population, and a prevalence ranging between four and seven cases per 100,000.
Key Questions Answered
- How does the patent expiration of Rilutek effect the ALS market?
- The pipeline consists of novel but unproven mechanisms of action in ALS. Which of these therapies will attain high sales revenues during 2013-2018, and in which markets?
- How large an impact will Methycobal and Edaravone have on the ALS market in Japan? What do key opinion leaders think of these treatment approaches?
- What effects will advancing diagnostic and disease modeling capabilities have on drug development?
- What regulatory efforts are likely to affect drug development in the markets researched? Which is the largest growth market globally?
Key Topics Covered:
1 Tables & Figures
3 Disease Overview
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of ALS
- Age-Specific Incident Cases of ALS
- Sex-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of ALS
- Age-Standardized Diagnosed Prevalence of ALS
5 Current Treatment Options
- Rilutek (riluzole)
6 Unmet Needs Assessment and Opportunity Analysis
- Therapies That Can Slow or Halt Disease Progression
- Appetite-Stimulating Agents
- Preservation of Muscle Strength/Mobility
- Biomarkers for Diagnosis/Staging
- Treatments for Sialorrhea
- Protection of Cognitive Function
- Relief of Spasticity, Cramps, and Pain
- Extending Patient Survival
- Increasing Patient Function
7 Research and Development Strategies
- Anti-Glutamate Agents
- Antioxidants and Mitochondrial Preservation
- Growth Factors
- Protein Aggregation
8 Pipeline Assessment
- AB-1010 (masitinib)
- Radicut (edaravone)
- Methycobal (mecobalamin)
- CK-2017357 (CK-357, tirasemtiv)
9 Pipeline Valuation Analysis
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/l4m4z9/opportunityanalyze