Cinedigm Grows Digital Network Business with Two Promotions and Addition of Three Key Senior Managers
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Cinedigm Corp. (NASDAQ: CIDM) announced today it has promoted two key employees and hired three experienced managers to meet the demands of its rapidly growing digital networks business, including the documentary network Docurama (currently available on Roku, iOS, Xbox, and select connected TVs) and the forthcoming Comic Con-themed network 'Con TV, launching in Fall 2014.
“I’m thrilled about the addition of Shawn, Jake and Geoff as well as Suzanna’s expanded role”
- Erick Opeka has been promoted to Executive Vice President, Digital Networks, for Cinedigm. Leading the company's over-the-top (OTP) entertainment networks business, Opeka is responsible for the strategic planning, launch and operation of Cinedigm’s portfolio of direct-to-consumer digital networks, which will be available online, on mobile devices, gaming consoles, and connected TVs. Previously, Erick was Senior Vice President of Digital Distribution for Cinedigm a position he held at New Video before NV's acquisition by Cinedigm, where he oversaw the distribution of the company’s 50,000+ hours of content in the digital ecosystem and helped grow the company into the largest aggregator of digital content in North America.
- Suzanna Lee has been named Director, Business Development and Strategy, Digital Networks. In her expanded role, Lee will focus on business development, including brand, distribution and content partnerships. Additionally, she will oversee network programming with a focus on developing Cinedigm’s original content slate. Most recently, Lee was responsible for transitioning Cinedigm’s documentary brand Docurama into the company’s first direct-to-consumer network. Previously, Lee headed programming and strategy for Cinedigm’s Alternative Content division. Prior to Cinedigm, Lee worked in digital marketing at New Video, strategic growth management at investment and technology firm D. E. Shaw & Company, and was a Producer & Founding Partner at Aspen Entertainment Group.
Additionally, the Digital Networks team has added three new hires:
- Shawn Sheikh has joined as Senior Product Manager. In this role, Shawn will lead product development for Cinedigm’s portfolio of digital networks. Prior to joining Cinedigm, Shawn held senior consumer and enterprise product roles with several Silicon Valley companies including Nimbula (acquired by Oracle), Yahoo, Cisco, IBM, Hewlett Packard and Intel Corporation, leading product development and launch-to-market. Shawn, a published author whose work has appeared in various technology journals, is also the named inventor on two pending patents in consumer applications.
- Geoffrey DeHaven has joined as Operations Manager. DeHaven comes to Cinedigm with more than 15 years of experience working in global digital operations at Walt Disney Studios, Sony Pictures, and Warner Bros. At Cinedigm, DeHaven will oversee all channel operations including networks infrastructure planning and operations, workflow management, content delivery and strategic planning. DeHaven is a graduate of USC and holds an MBA from Loyola Marymount University.
- Jason “Jake” Rubin has joined as Brand Manager. Rubin comes to Cinedigm with over 20 years of experience in "fandom" culture, most recently as director of marketing at Indomina Media where he oversaw North American consumer marketing of theatrical, VOD, EST & home video releases dedicated to specialty markets (“fan boy”, Asian cinema, urban, horror, documentary & indie cult titles). At Cinedigm, Jake will work closely with network venture partner Wizard World to launch the Comic Con themed network ‘ConTV in Q4 2014, including spearheading creative direction and branding, brand integrations, and media strategy.
“I’m thrilled about the addition of Shawn, Jake and Geoff as well as Suzanna’s expanded role,” said Erick Opeka, EVP Digital Networks/Cinedigm. “Suzanna has been instrumental in the launch of this division, and our key new team members have extensive experience executing on major consumer-facing initiatives. I’m excited to be working with such a high-caliber executive team as we build the next generation of networks.”
Given Cinedigm’s infrastructure, technology, content and distribution expertise the company has rapidly become a leader in the quickly evolving digital entertainment ecosystem. Cinedigm’s first channel, DOCURAMA, launched in May 2014, and is currently available on over 165 million consumer devices including Roku, Xbox and Samsung, with additional platforms currently being rolled out. Earlier this year, Cinedigm also announced plans for a Comic Con branded channel, in partnership with WIZARD WORLD, for launch in Q4 2014.
Leveraging its vast library of content and digital expertise, Cinedigm plans to launch an additional slate of new branded digital channels over the next 18 months.
Cinedigm is the leading independent content distributor in the United States, with direct relationships with over 60,000 physical stores and digital retailers, including Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, iTunes, Netflix, and Amazon, as well as the national Video On Demand platform on cable television. The company’s library of over 52,000 titles and episodes encompasses award-winning documentaries from Docurama Films®, next-gen Indies from Flatiron Film Company®, acclaimed independent films and festival picks through partnerships with the Sundance Institute and Tribeca Films and a wide range of content from brand name suppliers, including National Geographic, Discovery, Scholastic, WWE, NFL, Shout Factory, Hallmark, Jim Henson and more.
Cinedigm™ and Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp™ are trademarks of Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp www.cinedigm.com. [CIDM-G]