Housing Market Price Gains Achieve Greatest Year-Over-Year Increase in Seven Years
Homes.com Local Market Index and Rebound Reports show continuing recovery for ninth consecutive month with 89 markets reaching full recovery
NORFOLK, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Homes.com, a leading online real estate destination and a division of Dominion Enterprises, has released its December Local Market Index, a price performance summary of repeat sales of U.S. properties. Utilizing home pricing data, the Index shows year-over-year gains for single-family properties in all 300 top U.S. markets.
“With the largest year-over-year housing market price increases in seven years, the U.S. housing market is in a great position to continue making steady gains in 2014.”
While the number of top 100 markets achieving a full recovery increased by one from the previous month to 29, there is also noticeable improvement in the number of midsize markets seeing full recovery. This month, 60 of the top 200 midsize markets have fully recovered their loss in home prices due to the housing bubble burst. These advancements bring the total markets with full recovery to 89 (30%), up two from the previous month’s 87.
All of the 200 midsize local markets continued to show gains year-over-year for the single-family index. On a monthly basis, Medford, OR saw the largest gain, with a 1.56 index point jump. For the seventh consecutive month, Anchorage, Alaska and Hilo, Hawaii continue to be the top two performing markets on a year-over-year basis. Anchorage takes the top spot, increasing by 18 percent, followed by Hilo with a more than 15 percent increase. The West continues to dominate the midsize markets, with 9 out of the top 10 markets increasing on an annual basis. On a monthly basis, the top 10 midsize markets are largely split between the South, West, and Midwest regions.
The latest Homes.com Local Market Index reports the following:
- Year-over-year increases in all top 300 markets.
- Monthly increases in 82 of the top 100 markets and in 167 of the 200 midsized markets.
- Los Angeles, California is the top gaining market on a year-over-year basis, with a 27.48 index point or 16.74% increase.
- Honolulu, Hawaii is the number two gaining market on a year-over-year basis, with a 26.21 index point gain for the top 100.
- California markets [San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, Calif.; San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.; Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.] are the remaining 3 in the top 5. Year-over-year, they increased 25.89, 24.97, and 20.65 index points, respectively for the top 100.
Highlights from the Homes.com Rebound Report for the top 300 markets show:
- 89 markets have made a 100% rebound, indicating a complete recovery. This is an increase from 87 markets in the previous reporting period.
- The most recent fully recovered markets are Greensboro-High Point, NC (103.4%) and Greeley, CO (102.86%).
- The percentage of recovered midsize markets is slightly ahead of the top 100 markets. Out of the 89 markets achieving more than 100% rebound this month, 60 or 30% are midsize and 29 or 29% are top 100.
- Dominating the top 100 rebound markets, the South, with 15, includes markets with energy-based economies in Texas and Oklahoma.
“Despite the holiday season and the early winter storms in most of the nation, the number of top 100 markets to reach or surpass their peak prices at the height of the boom in 2007 increased to 29 markets, according to December’s data,” said Brock MacLean, executive vice president of Homes.com. "With the largest year-over-year housing market price increases in seven years, the U.S. housing market is in a great position to continue making steady gains in 2014.”
To provide insight into local sector housing trends across the country, Homes.com publishes the Local Market Index for the Top 100 markets and the companion Midsize Markets Report for defined areas ranked from 101-300.
As a complement to the Local Market Index, Homes.com publishes an exclusive Rebound Report highlighting how the housing recovery process is unfolding across the country. It measures each market’s peak-to-trough decline in index value, which had been attributed to the bursting of the U.S. housing bubble.
Download all Local Market Reports, supporting documents and rebound percentages for December 2013.
Download the Homes.com Local Market Report tables and graphs included in the report.
Learn more about the methodology used to create Homes.com’s Local Market Index along with other frequently asked questions.
To receive a comprehensive data file including index values in every zip code within a local market, contact LocalMarketReports@Homes.com.
As one of the nation’s top online real estate destinations, Homes.com inspires consumers to dream big. From affordable houses to luxurious estates, condos, rentals and more, Homes.com features close to three million property listings and a user-friendly format, making finding your next home or a licensed real estate agent easily accessible. Visitors to the Homes.com blog will find a collection of rich content and posts on DIY projects, painting, gardening and more, providing the ultimate resource for everything home related. From purchasing a first home, to upgrading, downsizing and everything in between, Homes.com is an inspiring and engaging partner in every phase of the home buying process.
Homes.com is a division of Dominion Enterprises, a leading marketing services and publishing company headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia. For more information, visit DominionEnterprises.com.
For more information, visit Homes.com or blog.homes.com.