theFashionSpot Kicks Off Fashion Week with Guest Editor Tim Gunn
The TV Personality and Fashion Mentor Shares His Tips on How to Make It in the Fashion Industry, Dressing for Every Age, Celebrity Style Secrets, What He’s Learned From His Years on Project Runway, and More
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TotallyHer Media’s theFashionSpot (tFS) (www.thefashionspot.com), the web’s largest fashion-focused community and fashion editorial site, announced today February’s Guest Editor: Tim Gunn, Emmy® Award winning co-host and mentor for Lifetime’s “Project Runway” and its newest installment, “Under the Gunn.” Throughout the month, Tim divulges his greatest style secrets, the top factors to consider when getting dressed, and his storied experience in the fiercely competitive, cut-throat world of fashion. He joins a distinguished list of guest editors for theFashionSpot, including renowned makeup artist and entrepreneur Trish McEvoy, singer Alanis Morissette, COO of BCBGMAXAZRIAGROUP Lubov Azria, celebrity stylist Nicole Chavez, and supermodels Molly Sims and Josie Maran.
“Diane von Furstenberg. How many people can say they created an iconic item? I also admire her for her leadership role as the president of the CFDA.”
“As an educator, I love sharing my journey in the fashion world with others who are eager to learn about the industry—and I can’t think of an online community more devoted than theFashionSpot,” said Gunn. “Filling the role of guest editor during fashion’s biggest week has been a true joy, and I am so pleased that I’ve been able to engage with this group of cutting-edge, style enthusiasts.”
Tim Gunn Weighs In On:
The Cut-Throat Nature of the Fashion Industry
- “Designers quite frankly hate each other! It’s so incredibly competitive and if two designers are sitting next to one another, odds are they are seeing each other as competition and thinking ‘if you didn’t exist, I would sell more clothes!’”
- “If you’re going to cry a river every time you get knocked down, this isn’t the industry for you. It’s incredibly tough; I cannot underline this point enough.”
- “Don’t think that just because you are interning or going to school outside of a major city (like New York) that what you are doing is not relevant, especially because, thanks to the internet, we can take a magical tour anywhere.”
- “No matter how many celebrities I meet and no matter how many years I am on television, I am still starstruck; even by Heidi…I always catch myself thinking I can’t believe I’m sitting here with Heidi Klum!”
- “I give my feedback and if a designer is not receptive then, tough! It’s up to each of them to decide what to do with what I’m saying. But sometimes, it’s more about giving someone a big hug and helping them see the value in not giving up.”
- If I could give anyone a fashion makeover it would be… “Hillary Rodham Clinton, but I think she’s had one, which makes me thinks she’s running for president.”
- The fashion designer I most admire is… “Diane von Furstenberg. How many people can say they created an iconic item? I also admire her for her leadership role as the president of the CFDA.”
- One thing people might be surprised to know about me is... “that I studied classical piano for 12 years.”
“With New York Fashion Week in full swing, we couldn’t have asked for a better guest editor than Tim Gunn—a true style icon,” said Rebecca Schmitt, Vice President and General Manager of TotallyHer Media. “Tim’s posts are insightful and educational, yet refreshingly candid—which makes him a fabulous read. I have no doubt the tFS community will thoroughly delight in the style wisdom (and juicy details!) he’s shared.”
To check out the exclusive articles from Tim please visit: http://www.thefashionspot.com/author/tim-gunn/.
About Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn is an Emmy® Award winning co-host and mentor for Lifetime’s Project Runway and its newest installment, Under the Gunn. In addition, he is Fashion Dean at Fifth & Pacific, where he is responsible for attracting, retaining and developing the creative talent within the portfolio of brands. Previously, Gunn served as a member of the administration and faculty at Parsons School of Design for 24 years and has a rich and deep history with the institution. In August 2000, Gunn was appointed Chair of the Department of Fashion Design at Parsons with the charge of retooling and invigorating the curriculum for the 21st century. Under his direction, the department was repositioned as the indisputable leader in fashion design education in America and as one of only a handful of leading programs in the world.
Originating in July 2001, theFashionSpot (www.theFashionSpot.com) made a name for itself as an invitation-only community of designers, stylists and fashionistas that dissected designer collections, celebrating some and skewering others. Building on the largest fashion-focused community on the web, theFashionSpot.com has grown into a respected fashion editorial site with a strong and active community element. TheFashionSpot’s portfolio of sites currently reaches nearly 2 million unique visitors (comScore, July 2013), with close to 70,000 invitation-only members playing an active role in the site’s forum. It is that in-market participation and authenticity that makes theFashionSpot.com the largest community of fashion influencers online. In 2012 theFashionSpot was recognized by MediaPost’s OMMA Awards for website excellence in fashion and beauty. Recent brand advertisers include Macy’s, Tresemme, Anne Klein, P&G, Kraft, Coach, Revlon, Weight Watchers, and more. theFashionSpot is part of TotallyHer, an Evolve Media (www.evolvemediallc.com) company.