Pharma Companies Place High Expectations on Tier 1 Key Opinion Leaders
“Pharmaceutical Key Opinion Leader Management: Effective Strategies for Segmenting Thought Leaders”
The survey data in, “Pharmaceutical Key Opinion Leader Management: Effective Strategies for Segmenting Thought Leaders,” show that a three-tier system lends itself to easy thought leader organization by geographic influence, experience and general level of activity.
While geographic influence is one valuable aspect of segmenting thought leaders; the study shows other factors that surveyed companies consider when segmenting KOLs and the averages associated with these factors for Tier 1, 2 and 3 thought leaders. The expectations for clinical experience, number of speeches and advisory boards are highest for Tier 1 thought leaders.
Tier 1 thought leaders — generally specialists in their medical fields — are consulted frequently on business matters ranging from clinical and medical to commercial issues. Given their high esteem among their peers, Tier 1 thought leaders average:
• 15.6 years of clinical experience
• 6.0 publications per year
• 10.4 speeches per year
• 2.8 advisory boards per year
Tier 2 thought leaders often represent a more targeted level of influence (national or regional) for most companies. Tier 2 thought leaders average:
• 10.1 years of clinical experience
• 6.4 publications per year
• 8.0 speeches per year
• 2.0 advisory boards per year
Tier 3 thought leaders operate within local spheres of influence. Up-and-comers in their fields who show promise for future Tier 1 status are generally considered Tier 3 or Tier 2, depending on their current activities and importance to companies. Tier 3 thought leaders average:
• 7.0 years of clinical experience
• 3.3 publications per year
• 5.2 speeches per year
• 1.4 advisory boards per year
“Pharmaceutical Key Opinion Leader Management: Effective Strategies for Segmenting Thought Leaders” (http://www.cuttingedgeinfo.com/research/medical-affairs/key-opinion-leaders/) examines team structures and staffing, as well as thought leader management database use and expenses. It compares Tier 1, 2 and 3 thought leader profiles across a wide range of therapeutic areas. Use this report to:
- Benchmark extensive pharmaceutical thought leader segmentation data
- Establish criteria to identify and recruit global, national, regional and local thought leaders
- Create centralized KOL development teams and benchmark resource allocation
For more information about key opinion leader strategy, contact Cassie Demeter at 919-403-6583.