LEGO® Education Collaborates with Award-Winning Author Mo Willems to Bring the Pigeon Series to Life
Willems’ popular Pigeon series of books will be the source of inspiration using LEGO Education StoryStarter to encourage creativity among educators and students in reading and writing
- LEGO® Education is collaborating with award-winning author and Emmy winner Mo Willems to bring his Pigeon series of books to life using LEGO Education products.
- In 2014, LEGO Education will host “The Pigeon Builds a Story,” LEGO brick builds at education conferences as well as encourage educators and their students in the classroom to use LEGO Education StoryStarter, a language arts solution for second through fifth grade classes, or LEGO bricks to showcase students’ creativity in the retelling of a Pigeon story.
- A fan vote via the LEGO Education community will determine the winner of a two-foot LEGO brick Pigeon for their classroom, along with other prizes.
SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, LEGO Education announced collaboration with Mo Willems, the popular and award-winning author of the Pigeon series of books to help inspire today’s educators and students in reading and writing. Willems’ has written six Pigeon books, plus two board books and the activity book with the most recent, The Pigeon Needs a Bath!; set to be released April 1, 2014.
There are several ways educators can participate to win a two-foot LEGO pigeon build for their school:
- Education Events: Throughout 2014, LEGO Education will host LEGO bricks and StoryStarter builds within the LEGO Education tradeshow booth. Educators can build their model, take a photo, and upload it onto the LEGO Education community Pigeon board for a fan vote.
- In the Classroom: LEGO Education also encourages classrooms to build their model and take a photo that will be uploaded onto the LEGO Education community Pigeon board for a fan vote. Educators can use traditional LEGO bricks or StoryStarter for their submissions.
- Community: The LEGO Education community will have a dedicated board for the Pigeon lesson plans and photos. Educators when uploading must tag the post with #pigeon for search ability purposes.
Prizes: At the end of the year, the votes will be tallied from both events and the classrooms and the educator that has the most votes will win the grand prize:
- Grand prize: A two-foot Pigeon build, a LEGO Education StoryStarter classroom set and signed copies of Willems’ latest Pigeon book for each of the students as well as the teacher. The winning school will also receive a congratulatory video from Willems.
- Additional Prizes: LEGO Education also encourages educators to develop lesson plans around the Pigeon series of books and share on the LEGO Education community for a chance to win an exclusive set of mini-pigeons for their classrooms.
Mo Willems’ works in children’s books, animation, television, theater, and bubble gum card painting have garnered him 3 Caldecott Honors, 2 Geisel Medals, 6 Emmy Awards, 4 Geisel Honors, a Helen Hayes nomination, and multiple bubble gum cards. He is best known for his characters Knuffle Bunny, The Pigeon, and Elephant and Piggie. He is worst known for his characters in Sheep in the Big City and The Off-Beats. More information about Willems’ past, present and future can be gleaned at www.mowillems.com
- LEGO Education Community Fan Page – Upload your Builds Here!
- “The Pigeon Builds a Story” Contest Info
- LEGO Education StoryStarter
- Mo Willems’ Pigeon Website
About LEGO Education
Since 1980, LEGO Education (LEGOeducation.us) has delivered hands-on, curriculum-based resources for teachers and students worldwide. LEGO Education believes a hands-on, minds-on approach helps students actively take ownership of the learning process and develop 21st-century skills such as creative thinking and problem solving through real-life, engaging experiences.
LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2014 The LEGO Group.