Peet’s Coffee & Tea Opens New “First Of Its Kind” Flagship Store in San Francisco’s Marina District
Flagship unveils a brand new face of Peet’s with a fresh, contemporary design that takes the store experience to a whole new level
EMERYVILLE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Peet’s Coffee & Tea, a premier specialty coffee and tea company, announces its new flagship store today in San Francisco’s Marina District at 2080 Chestnut Street, complete with a distinctive design unlike any other Peet’s store in the U.S. The new flagship takes Peet’s store experience to a higher standard of quality, similar to the way Peet’s crafts its premium coffee, with a fresh, contemporary design in a local, historic space true to its Northern California heritage.
“It brings to life our commitment to quality and puts a central focus on the art and passion of our coffee making. Even more, the store’s fresh, contemporary design is unlike any Peet’s store in the U.S., uniquely placed in a local, historic building reminiscent of our Northern California roots.”
The store officially opens today. Also, Peet’s will host a “neighborhood party” on Saturday, Feb. 1st with free coffee and food samples, and the first 50 customers will receive a Peet’s limited edition CamelBak tumbler and $25 gift card. Plus, radio personality Renee Richardson from KFOG-FM will broadcast live from the store that morning with a special, mystery guest.
“Our new San Francisco flagship elevates the Peet’s store experience to a whole new level matching the high standard of our premium coffee that the Bay Area has loved for 48 years,” said Dave Burwick, president and CEO of Peet’s Coffee and Tea. “It brings to life our commitment to quality and puts a central focus on the art and passion of our coffee making. Even more, the store’s fresh, contemporary design is unlike any Peet’s store in the U.S., uniquely placed in a local, historic building reminiscent of our Northern California roots.”
Peet’s heritage is grounded in its commitment to quality and attention to detail -- sourcing the world’s best beans from family farms, hand roasting in small batches, and maintaining a superior standard of freshness. As such, the new flagship store is constructed using a similar mindset. The 2,500-square-foot store is a contemporary interpretation of California’s early 20th century American Craftsman design movement, which emphasizes the qualities of natural materials and pride of workmanship. The store uses carefully selected materials to match Peet’s high quality standards, such as Carrara marble, reclaimed California oak, and natural lighting. These materials work together to create an open, approachable space that naturally brings the customer into Peet’s coffee making experience.
Key design features of Peet’s flagship store include:
Fresh, Contemporary Design in Local, Sustainable Space
- Located in a historic, art deco building over 80 years old, the store is locally connected to the history and community of the Marina neighborhood. The building’s original fir ceiling, concrete walls, walnut floors, and recycled steel beams have been restored to maintain its classic California features updated with a fresh, contemporary design.
- Finely crafted oak cabinets, marble counters, and “steam punk” lighting fixtures all contribute to the classic and contemporary store design.
- Sustainable building systems like LED lighting, new efficient heating and cooling systems, and water reduction equipment have been incorporated to keep the store energy efficient. Plus, previous bowling alley lanes have been repurposed as community tables.
- A “living wall” of plants captures the Marina neighborhood’s healthy outdoor lifestyle.
Open, Approachable Barista Bar
- Placed as a central focal point in the store, the barista bar showcases Peet’s coffee-making artistry in motion and the passion that is placed into creating handcrafted beverages.
- The bar is designed as a showcase to Peet’s coffee craft, providing fans a 360-degree visual experience of the beverage making process.
Lifelike Imagery & Local Art
- Lifelike imagery showcases Peet’s small-batch roasting process abstracted to create a “larger than life” impression and espresso beverages are enlarged and layered. Also, the menu has been updated to reflect cleaner, more precise beverage options.
- An array of artwork from local Bay Area artists such as Michael Schwab, Nike van der Molen, Julio Ortiz and Dave Marcoulier adorns the walls of the store.
- A history wall of Peets’ heritage and an archival shot of the neighborhood from the 1940’s provide a look into the past.
The flagship store is the first unveiling of Peet’s new store design that will initially rollout as part of its Washington D.C. market launch later this spring. While the flagship store stands on its own as a unique marker of Peet’s Northern California heritage, the design of the Washington D.C. stores will incorporate a similar contemporary design with locally relevant materials and visually appealing imagery.
About Peet’s Coffee & Tea
Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Inc. is the premier specialty coffee and tea company in the United States.
The company was founded in 1966 in Berkeley, Calif. by Alfred Peet. Peet was an early tea authority who later became widely recognized as the grandfather of specialty coffee in the U.S. Today, Peet’s Coffee & Tea offers superior quality coffees and teas in multiple forms, by sourcing the best quality coffee beans and tea leaves in the world, adhering to strict high-quality and taste standards, and controlling product quality through its unique direct store delivery selling and merchandising system. Peet’s is committed to strategically growing its business through many channels while maintaining the extraordinary quality of its coffees and teas.
For more information about Peet's Coffee & Tea, Inc., visit www.peets.com