NORWOOD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The holidays are filled with traditions – some that Dads revel in and others that they would rather do without. To celebrate Paramount Pictures’ release of the hilarious holiday movie, “Daddy’s Home 2”, which prominently features Showcase Cinemas as the setting for the culminating scene of the film, Showcase has launched a national survey of American dads to uncover their true feelings about holiday traditions.
Just like the characters in “Daddy’s Home 2”, dads have good, and bad, holiday experiences. Here are the results of the 2017 Showcase Holiday “Dad-Fessions” Survey:
- Holiday Hates: When it comes to not so fun holiday moments, dads say family tensions top the list, with nearly 3-in-5 dads (57%) reporting that fighting with family members is their least favorite holiday tradition. Other top holiday grievances from dads’ perspective include posing for photos for the family holiday card (17%), visiting Santa at the mall (16%), and assembling the kids’ toys (15%).
- December 24, 5 p.m.: Not surprisingly, more than two-thirds of dads (64%) admitted to waiting until the last minute to do their holiday shopping.
- Just Fake It: In terms of the age-old debate about fresh vs. artificial trees, the survey revealed some unexpected results. A whopping 68% of dads agree that they prefer artificial trees because they save time and money.
- Decking the Halls Disasters: Just like in “Daddy’s Home 2”, the headaches that come with decorating the house are a dad’s holiday nightmare. More than forty percent (42%) confess to getting frustrated while decorating the outside of the house.
- Holiday Hangovers: Dads know a thing or two about the perils of holiday cocktails. Forty percent confess to having overindulged at a holiday party.
- Rocking an Ugly Christmas Sweater: Dads are not afraid to make a bold fashion statement. More than one-in-three dads (36%) admit to wearing an ugly Christmas sweater during the holidays.
Making Spirits Bright
The Showcase Holiday “Dad-Fessions” survey also revealed dads’ softer, gentler side when it comes their nostalgia for favorite holiday traditions:
- Taking in a Holiday Flick: Dads rank watching holiday movies (67%) as one of the best ways to get into the holiday spirit, and they rank going to the movies (38%) as one of their top five favorite holiday traditions.
- The Joy of Giving: Dads rank exchanging gifts (67%) and shopping for presents (62%) among their favorite holiday traditions.
- Stringing up the Lights: Decorating the house (61%) and picking out the Christmas tree (47%) take the third and fourth spot on dads’ favorites list.
“Showcase Cinemas is excited to have a starring role in the culminating scenes of ‘Daddy’s Home 2',” said Mark Malinowski, Vice President of Global Marketing, National Amusements, Inc. “As the main characters come together and reunite in our theater, the scenes underscore that going to the movies brings families together, particularly during the holiday season.”
To celebrate the release of “Daddy’s Home 2” and its starring role in the film, Showcase Cinemas is giving Boston-area moviegoers the rare opportunity to experience the film through the launch of “Daddy’s Home 2 Holiday Headquarters” at Showcase Cinema de Lux in Revere, MA. Showcase is transforming the theater lobby by bringing the film to life via an exhibit of actual props used in the movie. Moviegoers can interact with the prop display and get their pictures taken with life-sized cutouts of the film’s cast. “Daddy’s Home 2” hits theaters November 10, 2017. Advance tickets are on sale now: http://bit.ly/2iad2Kf. Visit www.showcasecinemas.com for theaters and showtimes.
The 2017 Showcase Holiday “Dad-Fessions” Survey presents the findings of an online survey conducted October 24-29, 2017 among a sample of 505 U.S. dads of children ages 0-17. Respondents were 18 years of age and older. Had this been a probability sample, the margin of error for a sample of this size is +/- 4% at a 95% level of confidence.
About “Daddy’s Home 2”
“Daddy’s Home 2” is the hilarious sequel to the 2015 hit film, “Daddy’s Home”. From Paramount Pictures, the film stars Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Linda Cardellini, John Cena, John Lithgow, Mel Gibson and Alessandra Ambrosio. In “Daddy’s Home 2”, father and stepfather Dusty (Mark Wahlberg) and Brad (Will Ferrell) join forces to make Christmastime perfect for the children. Their newfound partnership soon gets put to the test when Dusty's old-school, macho dad (Mel Gibson) and Brad's gentle father (John Lithgow) arrive to turn the holiday upside down. The film is directed by Sean Anders.
About National Amusements
National Amusements, Inc., is a world leader in the motion picture exhibition industry operating more than 935 movie screens in the U.S., U.K. and Latin America.
National Amusements delivers a superior entertainment experience in theatres around the world under its Showcase, Multiplex, SuperLux and Cinema de Lux brands. Based in Norwood, Massachusetts, National Amusements is a closely held company operating under the third generation of leadership by the Redstone family. National Amusements is also an equal partner in the online ticketing service MovieTickets.com and is the parent company of both Viacom and CBS Corporation. Visit them at www.showcasecinemas.com.