DALLAS & FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mouser Electronics, Inc., the New Product Introduction leader that empowers innovation and a principal sponsor of the Create the Future Design Contest, will join in recognizing the 2017 winners at a special awards reception and dinner in New York City on November 10. Mouser’s valued suppliers Intel® and Analog Devices, Inc. joined Mouser in sponsoring the 15th annual contest, produced by Tech Briefs Media Group, an SAE International Company.
Together with COMSOL and Tech Briefs Media Group, Mouser will award the $20,000 grand prize to a team from Cornell University and Dimensional Energy of Ithaca, N.Y., for developing HI-Light, a “reverse-combustion” technology that potentially transforms carbon conversion into a profitable enterprise while reducing harmful carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere. The design team includes Xiangkun (Elvis) Cao, Jessica Akemi Cimada da Silva, David Erickson, Tobias Hanrath, Jason Salfi and Clayton Poppe.
Since 2014, Mouser has been a primary sponsor of the annual Tech Briefs Media Group’s Create the Future Design Contest, a global challenge to engineers and students to create the next great thing.
“We congratulate this year’s winners and thank all of the entrants for their participation. Part of our mission here at Mouser is fostering technical innovation so it’s a natural fit for us to support this global design contest that celebrates ingenuity,” said Kevin Hess, Mouser Senior Vice President of Marketing. “We are seeing exciting advancements in electronic design thanks to the creative engineers and innovators across the globe, including those who entered the Create the Future Design Contest.”
The Create the Future Design Contest brings attention to product designs that enhance quality of life, improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare, and help to reduce dependence on nonrenewable energy sources. Finalists in seven categories receive a computer and recognition in Tech Briefs magazine's November 2017 issue. The winner of the Medical Category will be featured in the November 2017 issue of Medical Design Briefs magazine. The category-winning designs are:
- Aerospace & Defense – The Airfoil Performance Monitor, a system that provides real-time information to pilots about the state of the airflow over the aircraft’s wings and tail.
- Automotive/Transportation – The Heavy-Duty Aftermarket Super Truck, which reduces fuel consumption by up to 10 percent, under-hood heat by 50 percent, and fan noise by 50 dB.
- Consumer Products – The Conformal Battery, which integrates a battery into the structural components of a product, eliminating the mass and volume of traditional battery packaging.
- Electronics/Sensors/ IoT – Integrated Multi-Color Light Emitting Device Made with Hybrid Crystal Structure, a process for making red, green and blue LED device structures on the same substrate, which has not been possible using current techniques.
- Machinery/Automation/Robotics – EJBot, a propeller-driven robot that can climb and inspect industrial structures and vessels, eliminating the danger posed by humans performing these actions.
- Medical – The Arterial Everter, a tool that helps facilitate and reduce the time required to perform arterial microvascular anastomosis.
- Sustainable Technologies – The Energy Saving Filter for Removal of Heavy Metals from Water, a one-atomic layer, carbon-based material that attracts heavy metal ions in aqueous solutions.
For more information on the Create the Future Design Contest, visit http://www.mouser.com/createthefuture/.
With its broad product line and unsurpassed customer service, Mouser strives to empower innovation among design engineers and buyers by delivering advanced technologies. Mouser stocks the world’s widest selection of the latest semiconductors and electronic components for the newest design projects. Mouser Electronics’ website is continually updated and offers advanced search methods to help customers quickly locate inventory. Mouser.com also houses data sheets, supplier-specific reference designs, application notes, technical design information, and engineering tools.
About Mouser Electronics
Mouser Electronics, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is an award-winning, authorized semiconductor and electronic component distributor focused on rapid New Product Introductions from its manufacturing partners for electronic design engineers and buyers. The global distributor’s website, Mouser.com, is available in multiple languages and currencies and features more than 4 million products from over 600 manufacturers. Mouser offers 22 support locations around the world to provide best-in-class customer service and ships globally to over 550,000 customers in 170 countries from its 750,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility south of Dallas, Texas. For more information, visit https://www.mouser.com/.
Mouser and Mouser Electronics are registered trademarks of Mouser Electronics, Inc. All other products, logos, and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners. Intel is a trademark of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.