HANOVER, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Seeking to bridge the digital divide between rural and metropolitan areas, the Brazos Valley Council of Governments (BVCOG) has deployed a new private network with Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) and CenturyLink that is now live and providing services. Funded in part by the Healthcare Connect Fund, this private network connects hospitals, rural clinics and schools that provide healthcare services. Expected to be fully completed by summer 2019, the network will also support other government organizations and critical applications, including 911 emergency response, workforce development and public safety initiatives.
- Serving the region for 50 years, BVCOG represents seven counties in central Texas covering 5,109 square miles and serving more than 315,000 citizens. Previously, high-speed broadband availability in these counties was limited to city centers and only via satellite or wireless. Rural areas were left with access to lower speeds and more expensive services.
- Building this new private optical network, powered by Ciena’s 8700 Packetwave® platform and 3930 Service Delivery Switches, BVCOG can now rapidly turn up services with access to network speeds ranging to 10 Gb/s for economic development agencies, increased telemetry and diagnostics for healthcare organizations.
- Ciena is also providing BVCOG with its Specialist Services, including turnkey implementation and training, to quickly provision services. CenturyLink, a Diamond partner in Ciena’s BizConnect partner program, provided deployment services for this project.
“We’ve seen across the country how improved broadband access has a
direct correlation on quality of life. Leveraging the expertise of
Ciena and CenturyLink, we are providing the latest medical services,
learning applications and other best-of-breed services available to
all areas we serve.”
- Michael Parks, Deputy Director, Brazos Valley Council of Governments
“CenturyLink worked closely with our partner Ciena to deploy a robust
network in Brazos Valley that delivers crucial networking needs to
healthcare service providers, government groups and businesses so they
can execute on their organization’s digital transformation
initiatives and better serve area residents.”
- Terence Gleeson, vice president, strategic partner alliances, CenturyLink
“Hospitals leveraging new telemetry and diagnostic services are just
the tip of the iceberg of what’s to come with this enhanced network.
Ciena’s packet optical technology combined with CenturyLink’s
dedicated support proved to be the right combination to implement
BVCOG’s network vision.”
- Kevin Sheehan, vice president, strategic sales and market development, Ciena
About Brazos Valley Council of Governments
The Brazos Valley Council of Governments (BVCOG) is a multi-purpose voluntary organization of, by and for local governments in the seven county Brazos Valley Region of Texas. The BVCOG serves over 315,000 citizens and covers an area of 5,109 square miles. This area, known and referred to as the Brazos Valley Region consists of seven counties, which are Brazos, Burleson, Grimes, Leon, Madison, Robertson and Washington. Learn more at http://www.bvcog.org.
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink for more information.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.