SANTA BARBARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the first time in Gelato Festival history, all competitors in the Santa Barbara stage have the challenge of creating a fat-free, dairy-free flavor.
“California is seen around the world as leading the fight for healthy lifestyles. It’s fitting to have the Santa Barbara stage showcase how gelato and sorbetto are a healthy, organic way to enjoy the most amazing flavors of frozen desserts,” says Gabriele Poli, founder and creator of the Fat-Free, Dairy-Free Challenge.
The winning flavor will be chosen by two panels: technical experts and members of the general public taking part in the Festival, each accounting for 50% of the vote.
With support from SIGEP and Carpigiani, here are the 10 flavors and competitors for the Gelato Festival in Santa Barbara:
1. Sicily Orange Sunrise by Maurizio Melani, Heladeria Véneta, Valencia, Spain.
2. Spicy Green Paradise by Mattia Ortelli, Gelato-Go, Miami Beach, FL.
3. Green Apple, Lime, Pineapple & Cucumber by Spin Mlynarik, Black Market Gelato, North Hollywood, CA.
4. Ode to Autumn, by Noel Knecht, Colibri Gelato, San Clemente, CA.
5. Vegan Pink Pear Ginger, by Antonio Carrozza, Latteria Italiana, Miami, FL.
6. Maiz Dulce Borracho by Marcello Mennone, Gelati Gioia, Tampa Bay, FL.
7. Roasted Green Tea with Crunchy Mango by Michele Brown, Brook Hollow Golf Club, Dallas, TX.
8. Shade of Rose by Salvatore Bonomo, Nonna Rosa, Los Angeles, CA.
9. Blood Orange by Robert Sigona, Gelotti Inc., Paterson, NJ.
10. Fresh Love by Bruno Couto de Matos, Frio Gostoso Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.
The Gelato Festival will be held at La Cumbre Plaza in Santa Barbara, from Friday, Oct. 20, 2pm-8pm, Saturday, Oct. 21, 12pm-8pm - Sunday Oct. 22, 12pm-7pm (Award Ceremony at 7pm).
Everyone in attendance will be able to taste all the gelato and cast their vote for their favorite flavor. There will also be unique flavors (that do include dairy and are not all fat free) by PreGel America and WhyGelato.com, authentic flavours by Carpigiani Gelato University and gastronomic sorbet by Sogno Toscano for everyone to sample. The Festival not only features fresh daily made and tasty gelato, but includes educational opportunities, activities and contests for all ages, like the ‘Kids Jury’, the ‘Gelato Eating Contest’, ‘Speed Cup’ by Isa, ‘Stack it High’ by PreGel and many more.
A ticket to the festival is all-inclusive:
- Entry to the festival (One day per ticket)
- One sample of each competing flavor
- One sample of each flavor provided by partners
- Admission to Gelato Classroom
- Participation in all contests and activities
- Voting for your favorite competing flavor
Next stops on our tour are Tucson and Scottsdale, AZ. Tickets are available online with discounts up to 20% in advance. For more details and to purchase tickets, visit gelatofestivalamerica.com/ticket.
About Gelato Festival
Since 2010, Gelato Festival has had eight editions with more than 2,000 artisans competing in 60 Festivals all over Europe and has traveled over 32,000 km.
Strategic Partners: Carpigiani – carpigiani.com/us, Sigep – Italian Exhibition Group - sigep.it, Main Sponsor: PreGel America - pregelamerica.com, WhyGelato.com, Official Technical Sponsor: ISA - Isaitaly.com. Packaging Sponsors: Gelato Supply - gelatosupply.com, Partner: Sogno Toscano – sognotoscano.com, Media Partner: iHeart Media.
Follow Us: gelatofestivalamerica.com
Facebook: Gelato Festival America