VOORHEES, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Water Works Company, Inc. (NYSE: AWK), the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company, announced today it has issued its fourth biennial corporate responsibility report, covering its industry leading performance in 2015 and 2016.
“American Water’s corporate responsibility report provides a detailed account of not just our corporate responsibility performance across the business, but also the ways in which our people are showing leadership in water quality, tackling emerging contaminants and investing in infrastructure,” said Susan Story, president and CEO of American Water. “We believe that engaged employees, working safely and efficiently, coupled with smart investments in customer service, innovation and infrastructure replacement, lead to highly satisfied customers.”
In selecting the content for its corporate responsibility report, American Water used the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Reporting Principles of materiality, sustainability context and stakeholder inclusiveness. Some of the key accomplishments highlighted in the report include the following:
- American Water continued to score greater than 99 percent for drinking water compliance and was 21 times better than the industry average for drinking water quality in 2016.
- American Water has invested more than $2 billion in capital infrastructure in 2015 and 2016 to build a more resilient system for our customers.
- American Water has realized more than $19.6 million in savings through 249 process excellence initiatives in 2015 and 2016.
- In 2006, American Water set a goal to lower GHG emissions per volume of water produced by 16% over a 10 year period beginning in 2007. This report demonstrates that American Water has achieved a 25.8 percent decrease over that period and exceeded the goal.
- American Water has partnered with local environmental groups on 89 stewardship projects in 11 states. These projects were awarded funding for initiatives related to clean water, conservation, education, and community sustainability.
- American Water’s annual AmerICANs in Action! Month of Service, established in 2011 to foster community service among employees and encourage them to volunteer in communities, continued to grow. In 2016, a record-breaking 2,266 American Water employees participated in 116 different projects, contributing more than 4,000 volunteer hours.
The full report can be found in the Corporate Responsibility section of the company’s website.
About American Water
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly-traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. More information can be found by visiting www.amwater.com.