The 802.15.4 market has gained momentum and will surpass 1 billion annual unit shipments by 2022. A new generation of multi-protocol 802.15.4/Bluetooth/WiFi chips will be the prime reason for this accelerated growth. One example of this is Qualcomm's new tri-mode chip that supports Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), WiFi and 802.15.4. This SoC supports Zigbee 3, Thread, Android Things and has cloud and tooling support for AWS and Azure. Dual mode 802.15.4/BLE chips from Qualcomm, NXP, Qorvo, Silicon Labs and others will also be significant market drivers as these chips solve the pervasive network compatibility objection to 802.15.4.
Device makers and service providers are large beneficiaries of multi-mode 802.15.4 chips as they can now focus on applications versus networking. Billions of 802.15.4 chips will be sold by the end of this decade and the smart home will make up the largest portion of this market. For this report, we contacted the major 802.15.4 component suppliers, device makers and service providers. In addition, we surveyed hundreds of commercial and industrial IoT users, dozens of brick and mortar stores and thousands of consumers.
This report covers the opportunities and threats for 802.15.4 in 22 unique market segments including 6-year market size unit forecasts by product design (e.g., chipset/module), technology, geography and average sale price. It also includes current 802.15.4 chipset market shares and an in-depth value system analysis with 80+ company profiles.
Market forces analysis of each of the major 802.15.4 markets including the following:
- Smart Metering & Distributed Energy Resources
- Smart Home
- Entertainment RF Controls
- Medical, Health & Wellness
- Building Automation & Commercial Services
- Industrial Automation, Logistics, Agriculture & Construction
- Smart Cities
- Retail, Automotive and Others
Application areas, or solutions, across each of the target markets above:
- Audio/Video Controls
- Health & Fitness
- Safety, security and environmental monitoring
- Condition monitoring/asset management
Technologies & Standards
- Extensive technology evaluation on 802.15.4 and variations such as Zigbee, RF4CE, Thread, JupiterMesh, Wi-SUN, WirelessHART, ISA100.11a and others
- Competing alternatives such as Bluetooth, WiFi, Z-Wave, EnOcean, Sigfox and LoRa
- Standards developments, emerging trends, and what it means for your critical stategic planning
Market Sizing (2016-2022)
- Total addressable market sizing for wireless sensing and control and associated low power wireless applications.
Global market size forecasts on 802.15.4 RFIC/modules including the
- Target Markets
- Protocol (Zigbee, RF4CE, Thread/6LoWPAN, Other 802.15.4)
- Design Type (chipset vs RF module)
The 802.15.4 Value System
Product segmentation: In-depth analysis and research data on over 100 companies that are having the biggest impact for the 802.15.4 market today in the following segments:
- RF Modules/Network stacks
- Software/Cloud services
- IT/Automation Platforms
Market Shares: 802.15.4 chipset market shares by units shipped in 2016
Disruption & Sustainability: for each major 802.15.4 Component Supplier
Each company was evaluated using the following criteria:
- Current offerings, products and services
- Financials, partners, go-to-market strategy
- Protocols supported, chipset design, frequencies, tools, integration, software, key features...
- Evaluation on potential for disruption based on innovation, pricing, etc.
- Evaluation on potential for sustainability based on financials, strategic alliances and current market shares
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/xpxjnf/802_15_4_iot