HARTFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Travelers (NYSE: TRV) is reminding residents and business owners in the southeastern United States to prepare now for Hurricane Irma. The storm is one of the strongest Atlantic hurricanes on record according to the National Hurricane Center. It’s important for those in the storm’s path to take steps now to help protect their families, employees, homes and businesses.
Personal and Home Safety
- Keep mobile devices fully charged and build an emergency kit so that you have essential items and important documents assembled in advance of evacuations.
- Know your evacuation route and leave as soon as an evacuation order is issued. Share your evacuation plans with someone outside of the storm area.
- Check your local news or sign up for weather alerts for updates on the potential for severe weather in your area.
- Secure all doors and board up windows to protect against flying debris. Also consider reinforcing garage doors.
- Stay inside if you are unable to leave the area, and stay away from all windows, skylights and glass doors. Do not go outside, even if the weather appears to have calmed. The eye of the storm can pass quickly, leaving you outside when strong winds resume.
- Fill the fuel tanks on your emergency generator. Fill your vehicles’ fuel tanks as well.
Additional Considerations for Businesses
- Clean out floor drains and catch basins and check sump pumps.
- Make sure your important records are protected — or duplicate them and move them offsite to a safe area.
- Confirm that your employee contact lists are up-to-date.
- Check to see that your fire protection equipment is working.
- Fill fuel tanks on your fire pumps.
- Shut off piping carrying gas or flammable liquids.
- Shut down production processes safely and turn off the electricity for non-critical equipment.
Travelers Claim professionals are ready to help customers and communities recover from the devastating effects of a hurricane. The company utilizes Mobile Claim Offices and FAA-certified drone operators to provide resources and expedite the claim process.
For more information about filing a claim, visit the Travelers Claim website or call 1.800.Claim.33 (1.800.252.4633). For more information about preparing for a hurricane, visit the Travelers Prepare & Prevent website.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has approximately 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $28 billion in 2016. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.