AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--More businesses are realizing the importance of mobile apps, but are discovering deploying and managing apps in their business is not as easy as they had thought. To gauge the state of apps in the enterprise, Kony, Inc., the leading enterprise mobility and digital applications company, partnered with Wakefield Research. The global survey of more than 1,000 line-of-business executives revealed the majority of respondents are still unsatisfied with the apps they have due to challenges around user experience, cost, and ongoing maintenance. In addition, trust in IT is dismal with fewer than 1 in 5 of respondents saying they would work with their in-house IT department.
“Enterprises recognize the importance of apps for their business,” said Carlos Carvajal, chief marketing officer at Kony, Inc. “Unfortunately, as this survey reveals, hurdles around app user experience, cost, and management are stifling innovation. The challenge is organizations that fail to innovate quickly become irrelevant in this digital era.”
- Apps Reign Supreme: Overall, the report revealed that the business value of mobile technology is clear with nearly all respondents (98 percent) noting their company would benefit from specific types of mobile apps.
Unsatisfactory Experience: However, business leaders that have
invested in mobile app development in house or externally identify
serious problems with the user experience.
- Among business leaders who have invested in mobile app development internally over the past 12 months, the majority (65 percent) reported they’re not completely satisfied with their IT department’s management of the overall user experience of apps.
- While 92 percent of those who sought out external app development help didn’t feel their outsourced apps met expectations.
Lack of Confidence in Internal IT:
- Only 19 percent (1 in 5) of business leaders feel that working with their in-house IT department is the best solution to develop their apps.
Notably, 97 percent of business leaders who don’t manage app
development internally identify many reasons their companies
aren’t capable of bringing development in-house. The most common
challenges highlighted were:
- Lack of skilled staff (42 percent)
- Limited IT budget (40 percent)
- Security (37 percent)
- Additionally, despite the importance of apps for business success, 27 percent of respondents felt their IT department deprioritizes the mobile app strategy.
Businesses Turn to Third Party Vendors, But Challenges Remain: 73
percent of respondents manage mobile app development externally.
However, challenges are still there:
96 percent of global business leaders who manage app development
externally face challenges including:
- 43 percent cited higher-than-expected costs to develop the app
- 41 percent cited higher-than-expected costs to maintain the app
- 39 percent cited lack of customizable options as a key challenge
- Also, business executives that have outsourced say their mobile apps aren’t compatible with iOS (15 percent), Windows OS (26 percent), and Blackberry OS (56 percent).
- 96 percent of global business leaders who manage app development externally face challenges including:
To access the full research report, visit: The App Dilemma: Meeting the High Expectations of Business
About Kony, Inc.
Kony is the fastest growing, cloud-based enterprise application and mobility solutions company, and a recognized industry leader among mobile application development platform (MADP) providers. Kony helps organizations of all sizes drive business ingenuity by rapidly transforming ideas into innovative and secure omni-channel applications. Built on the industry’s leading digital platform, Kony provides the most innovative and secure omni-channel applications, with exceptional user experience and app design. Kony’s cross-platform, low-code solution also empowers organizations to develop and manage their own apps to better engage with their customers, partners and employees. By seamlessly leveraging and connecting apps to all types of data sources and information, Kony also enables organizations to transform their business processes and gain valuable insight. Kony was named the first place winner in CTIA’s MobITs Awards in the Mobile Applications, Development & Platforms category and included on the Inc. 500|5000 list of fastest growing private companies in America.