ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Established in 2010, the IASA Scholarship Program demonstrates the association’s commitment to aiding undergraduate college students currently enrolled in a university with an insurance program, or in pursuit of a career in insurance, and whose course of study includes working toward a degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, Actuarial Science or Risk Management.
Following a thorough evaluation process, IASA’s Scholarship Committee selected twenty talented young individuals to receive the association’s 2017 scholarships. All of the scholarship recipients have proven dedicated not only to academic excellence, but to the betterment of themselves, their campuses and their communities through service and leadership.
“Education is a core part of our mission and we are pleased to award these scholarships to these hard working individuals,” said Joe Pomilia, Executive Director of IASA. “These young adults have distinguished themselves through their passionate commitment to their education and demonstrate a great potential in leading and shaping the insurance industry. It is gratifying to support these particular students to help them achieve their goals.”
Thanks to generous funding from IASA, IASA local chapters, companies and individuals who feel it is important to make a quantifiable difference in the lives of future industry leaders, IASA has continued to expand the scholarship program.
This year a total of $37,000 was awarded including the new Morty Mann Scholarship that was introduced in honor of long time IASA volunteer Morty Mann.
The 2017 IASA Scholarship Recipients are:
$5,000 Walt Mason Scholarship:
- Michele Quinn, Kent State University
$5,000 Morty Mann Scholarship:
- Mitchell Johnson, Augustana College
- Jessica Martinez, Hillsborough Community College/University of Tampa
- Enbo Jiang, St. John’s University
- Emily Custer, Illinois State University
- Ryan Mroz, Temple University
- Justin Lytle, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- JennieLynn Martino, St. John’s University
- Ashley Kerr, Central Michigan University
- Jacob Akstins, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Morgan Johnson, University of Wisconsin
- Jean Leconte II, St. John’s University
- Hannah Hamilton, Drake University
- Kelvin Mashonganyika, St. John’s University
- Amanda Gall, Maryville University
- James Kroll, University of St. Thomas
- Heather Pusey, University of South Carolina
- Xinran Liu, Georgia State University
- Nihar Phadke, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Truong Nguyen, University of Texas at Dallas
This year’s recipients were recognized during the IASA Annual Educational Conference & Business Show, June 4-7th, in Orlando, Florida. For more information about the IASA Scholarship Program, or to donate to the 2018 IASA Scholarship Program, please contact Karen Furtado at 978.239.2741, or, visit the IASA website at www.iasa.org and click on “Scholarship Program” in the main menu.
Since its inception in 2010, IASA has awarded $137,000 in scholarships to 109 amazing students.
The Insurance Accounting & Systems Association, Inc. (IASA) is a non-profit, education association that strives to enhance the knowledge of insurance industry professionals, and participants from similar organizations closely allied with the insurance industry by facilitating the exchange of ideas and information. IASA is one of the insurance industry’s largest, and most well represented trade associations. IASA membership includes insurance companies of all types (Property & Casualty, Life, Health, Fraternal, HMO and others) as members, as well as companies serving the insurance industry, regulators and also organizations more broadly representative of the financial services industry, including banks and investment brokerage firms. Learn more about the IASA by visiting our website at www.iasa.org or by calling (919) 489-0991.