VANCOUVER, British Columbia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Absolute®, the self-healing endpoint security company, today announced new endpoint security and compliance capabilities to help IT security leaders better manage and secure Android devices and data. Absolute expands its support for the Android operating system (OS) to provide uncompromised visibility and control over Android tablets and smartphones — both on and off the corporate network — to help enterprises assess vulnerabilities, prioritize risks and proactively remediate. For the first time, IT security professionals have a single cloud-based solution for unrivalled visibility into any type of endpoint across the enterprise, including Windows, Mac, Android and Chromebooks.
Environments with a mix of devices running different OS versions are the norm in today’s BYOD world, and the diverse Android ecosystem provides flexibility to use various device types across the enterprise. However, this flexibility can lead to risk. In fact, only 5 percent of Android devices in these environments are running the latest version of the Android OS1. Device flexibility also leads to OS fragmentation, making it more difficult to manage and secure these devices or assess a device in isolation to address vulnerabilities and reduce the risks of breaches.
“Attackers are becoming increasingly sophisticated, targeting the weakest points in layered defenses —the dark or invisible endpoint. The recent WannaCry ransomware attack highlighted the widespread vulnerabilities associated with unpatched rogue endpoints and OS version fragmentation,” said Bob Lyle, Vice President of Mobile, Absolute. “While WannaCry targeted Windows devices, Android devices represent a much larger target. Absolute has enhanced its coverage of Android phones and tablets to give IT security the near real-time insights and remediation they need to see and secure all endpoint devices.”
Absolute’s new Android capabilities are part of the company’s cloud-based Data and Device Security product that maintains its connection to Absolute Persistence® technology embedded in the firmware of more than 1 billion popular endpoint devices. With Persistence, even if a device is in the hands of a criminal or a malicious insider, IT security will retain control and trigger nearly instant remediation whenever an incident occurs. Now, security professionals can:
- Take a holistic approach to endpoint security by assessing Android endpoints alongside Windows, Mac and Chromebook devices from a single pane of glass
- Get virtually instant insight into their entire endpoint population and security posture to protect hardware, software and information assets, assess vulnerability and prove compliance
- Generate specific reports to prove to auditors that security measures were properly implemented and in place at the time of an incident
- Track Android devices on a Google Map™, including recent and historical locations
- Create geofences based on corporate policies and investigate or freeze devices that are out of bounds or entering an unauthorized location
- Pre-empt security incidents with virtually instant notifications if risk conditions are triggered and receive vulnerability scoring for deeper intelligence and alert prioritization
Absolute’s Android Vulnerability Report is available immediately as part of the Absolute Data and Device Security Professional and Premium editions. For more information on assessing and improving endpoint security and compliance, go to https://www.absolute.com/android.
Absolute (TSX: ABT) delivers the only self-healing endpoint security solution embedded in popular endpoint devices to provide uncompromised visibility and near real-time remediation of breaches at the source. Absolute’s cloud-based platform puts IT and security professionals in absolute control of devices, data and applications — whether on or off the corporate network — to enhance IT asset management, protect sensitive data, reduce insider threats and ensure compliance. Absolute’s patented Persistence technology is embedded in the firmware of more than 1 billion PCs and mobile devices from global manufacturers including Acer, ASUS, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, Microsoft, Panasonic, Samsung and Toshiba. Absolute is headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, and has offices around the world. For more information, visit www.absolute.com.
1. Android Developer Preview (May 2, 2017)