SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today at Internet of Things (IoT) World 2017, the world's largest IoT event, Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE:SSNI) published its “Know Your IoT Rights” white paper, a guiding doctrine for the rights of IoT developers and architects for an industry segment forecasted1 to reach $14.2 trillion by 2030. The “Know Your IoT Rights” white paper lays out what technology requirements can help developers and architects secure enforceable and sustainable network architecture, equipment, services, and performance specifications, delivered by their network providers.
Silver Spring’s “Know Your IoT Rights” comes at a time when a range of IoT network technologies, such as Wi-SUN®, LoRaWAN™ and NB-IoT, are evolving, offering customers new choices among network architectures. Criteria for choosing a technology typically includes performance, longevity, reliability, security, interoperability, scalability and operating cost. Silver Spring, which is a founding member and co-chair of the Wi-SUN Alliance, is steeped in the critical decisions that organizations must make in selecting a network technology for their IoT services. Silver Spring has extensive experience with IoT networks, having delivered more than 26 million enabled devices on five continents over the past 10 years.
“While the IoT market is vastly complex, with standards and types of devices ever-evolving, what is certain is that the network technologies over which IoT services will be hosted are well defined, even as they continue to evolve,” said Don Reeves, CTO, Silver Spring Networks. “Our goal with publishing these rights is to provide customers guideposts on which to make a mission-critical decision that meets their requirements today and well into the future.”
Ten IoT Rights to Demand From Network Providers
Silver Spring’s “Know Your IoT Rights” provides the foundation for an IoT network that customers will trust and, over time, prove so reliable that they take it for granted. Silver Spring believes that, by applying these rights, IoT providers can build secure and sustainable networks that deliver new capabilities and services for years to come.
1. The Right to ubiquitous coverage.
2. The Right to a solution based on open industry standards.
3. The Right to persistent safeguards from unauthorized access and detection.
4. The Right to leverage a large and diverse ecosystem of providers.
5. The Right to consistent performance for every device, everywhere.
6. The Right to power-efficient devices that communicate as often as you need them.
7. The Right to use a platform that has been proven at scale.
8. The Right to guaranteed service levels.
9. The Right to massive scalability.
10. The Right for your network to live long (and without failure).
To download Silver Spring’s “Know Your IoT Rights” white paper, visit http://bit.ly/2qllbAW.
To download the Wi-SUN Alliance’s white paper evaluating IoT network technologies, visit http://bit.ly/2ql9xGz.
Launch of the ‘Rank Your Rights’ Sweepstakes
Alongside the publication of the “Know Your IoT Rights” white paper, Silver Spring today launched a promotion that asks users to rank their most important network features to create a successful IoT solution. A randomly selected entry will win the Grand Prize which includes a Phantom 3 Standard drone from DJI, the choice of either Silver Spring’s newly launched Milli Shield Dev Kit for Arduino boards or IoT Edge Router™, Dev Edition, and a new Silver Spring Starfish™ t-shirt. Entries are open to legal U.S. residents eighteen (18) years or older, and due by June 30, 2017 at 5:00pm PDT. Other rules and restrictions apply. For more information and to enter, visit www.ssni.com/iotrights.
Learn About Standards-Based IoT Technology at Internet of Things World
To learn more about today’s announcement, visit Silver Spring’s Booth # 418 May 16-18 at IoT World at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, where Silver Spring will also demo the expansion of its developer program, announced today. Demos include a new developer portal, hardware developer kits and a simulation tool for IoT application development and testing.
In addition, Silver Spring executives will be presenting at this year’s IoT World 2017, including CEO, Mike Bell; CTO, Don Reeves; Director of Smart City Business Development, Sean Tippett; and GM and VP of Product Management, John Marcolini. More information on each of their sessions can be found below.
- Mike Bell, President and CEO – Open IoT Networks: What Kind of Network Do You Want to Build? (keynote); Wednesday, May 17 @ 9:50 am PT (more info here).
- Don Reeves, CTO – The New Age of Industrial IoT (keynote panel); Tuesday, May 16 @ 1:40 pm PT (more info here).
- Sean Tippett, Director of Smart City Business Development – Creating Smarter Cities: Future Trends (panel discussion); Wednesday, May 17 @ 12:00 pm PT (more info here).
- John Marcolini, GM and VP of Product Management– Industrial IoT Applications: How Developers Can Go-To-Market Using Proven Connectivity Platforms (IoT Architecture Symposium session); Wednesday, May 17 @ 2:20 pm PT (more info here).
Join the Silver Spring Networks Conversation
- Read more on the Silver Spring Connect blog at www.ssni.com/blog/
- Follow @SilverSpringNet on Twitter
- Like Silver Spring Networks on Facebook at www.facebook.com/silverspringnetworks
- Learn more about the Wi-Sun Alliance and the value of open standards-based IoT networking at www.wi-sun.org
About Silver Spring Networks
Silver Spring Networks enables the Internet of Important Things™ by reliably and securely connecting things that matter. Cities, utilities, and companies on five continents use the company’s cost-effective, high-performance IoT network and data platform to operate more efficiently, get greener, and enable innovative services that can improve the lives of millions of people. With more than 26.0 million devices delivered, Silver Spring provides a proven standards-based platform safeguarded with military grade security. Silver Spring Networks’ customers include Baltimore Gas & Electric, CitiPower & Powercor, ComEd, Consolidated Edison, CPS Energy, Florida Power & Light, Pacific Gas & Electric, Pepco Holdings, and Singapore Power. Silver Spring has also deployed networks in Smart Cities including Copenhagen, Glasgow, Paris, Providence, and Stockholm. To learn more, visit www.ssni.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements about Silver Spring Networks’ expectations, plans, intentions, and strategies, including, but not limited to statements regarding the benefits of IoT networks. Statements including words such as “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect” or “future” and statements in the future tense are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, as well as assumptions, which, if they do not fully materialize or prove incorrect, could cause our results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties include those described in Silver Spring Networks’ documents filed with or furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Silver Spring Networks as of the date hereof. Silver Spring Networks assumes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements.