IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--You can’t quantify love, but since survey data is MFour’s business, we decided to try. We surveyed 400 men and 400 women, ages 18 to 70, who are currently in a relationship.
The key takeaway is that Americans believe overwhelmingly that romance will last – despite academic research predicting 40% of new marriages will fail.
- Asked if they’d be with their partner forever, 60.6% chose “Yes, absolutely” and 25% picked “Yes, most likely” – a combined optimism rate of 85.6%. Only 3.9% picked “no,” with 10.5% “not sure.”
- Optimism was especially strong among married respondents (93.1%), but still prevalent for others (78%).
- Romantic optimism cut across categories: men (84.8%), women (85.6%), heterosexuals (86.1%), gays/lesbians (81.3%), bisexuals (85.2%), whites (89%), African Americans (81.4%), Hispanics (78.8%) and Asian Americans (80%).
- It prevailed for both the young (83.8% of those 18-34) and the middle-aged (88.1% for 35-70).
In other findings:
- Asked who typically wins when couples argue, 64% said that they and their partner come out “about even.”
- In the 36% of relationships where arguments don’t come out evenly, women usually win: women (23.3%) were more than twice as likely as men (10.9%) to say they typically win disputes.
- 62.9% of respondents in male-female relationships said they would be “very comfortable” or “somewhat comfortable” if their partner had a “very attractive” friend of the opposite sex.
- Women reported more uneasiness than men – 42.7% said they’d be uncomfortable, compared to 31.6% of men.
Do these results make love any less mysterious? Probably not. Will the data add some interesting grist to the never-ending conversation about love? We certainly hope it will.
About MFour Mobile Research, Inc.
Since 2011, MFour has reshaped the consumer-feedback paradigm, working to move the ultra-conservative market research community into the age of the smartphone – a crucial advance beyond landline surveys, email recruitment and online panels. MFour’s Surveys On the Go® app gives researchers access to more than 1,000,000 active panelists. With more than 2,000 joining daily, it’s the most-downloaded and highest-rated survey app in the US. Brands can use location-capturing technology to reach shoppers in real time and connect with a demographically diverse panel with full representation of Millennials, Hispanics, and African Americans. MFour uses GPS technology, fingerprint validation, multimedia capture, and GeoValidation® to deliver faster, more reliable, more accurate insights than traditional survey platforms.