IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Lumina Media™, a leading media company that connects brands with passionate audiences of enthusiasts by providing iconic content across all platforms, and Dogs in Review magazine, today announced the winners of its 62nd Annual Purina® Pro Plan® Show Dogs of the Year Awards event that took place Saturday, February 11, 2017 at Gotham Hall in New York City.
Awards were presented at the Show Dogs of the Year black-tie, invite-only event, which honors the top canine competitors in the country. The awards were presented to the highest achievers in show dog competition, top professionals and organizations in the canine sport, as well as the Dogs in Review annual achievement awards, also known as the Winkies.
“Our Show Dogs of the Year event is always one of the hottest tickets in town during Westminster week, and this year was one of our best yet,” said Susan Roark, senior vice president of sales and Dogs in Review publisher for Lumina Media. “We would like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors again for their support in making this event such a huge success.”
The awards and event were presented by Dogs in Review magazine and sponsored by presenting sponsor, Purina® Pro Plan® that has sponsored the awards since 2007. In addition, Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets, Trupanion® and Vetericyn® Animal Wellness sponsored and presented the special industry awards, including Veterinarian of the Year, Shelter of the Year and Charity of the Year, respectively.
“Purina is proud to sponsor the Purina Pro Plan Show Dogs of the Year Awards, as it represents the successful culmination of a year’s journey for these dogs, their handlers and owners. For the Industry and Achievement Award winners, it honors their lifetime devotion to dogs,” said Ann Viklund, Director of Conformation for Purina. “How befitting that we gather in New York right before the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show to celebrate these individuals and their achievements.”
Famed handler and advocate of the sport, Joe Waterman, became the newest inductee into the prestigious Anne Rogers Clark Hall of Fame.
Industry Award winners are:
- Veterinarian of the Year - Dr. Cindi Bossart (owner and medical director of Animal Hospital of Ft. Lauderdale specializing in canine reproduction and surgery)
- Shelter of the Year - Blind Dog Rescue Alliance (since 2009, BDRA volunteers have rescued just shy of 500 visually impaired dogs across the United States and Canada)
- Charity of the Year - Animal Medical Center (based in New York City, federally recognized nonprofit veterinary center that has been a national leader in animal care since 1910)
Show Dog Award winners are:
Sporting Group – “Timothy” GCHP Cerise Blindside/English Springer
- Finished 2016 as #4 All Breed, #2 Sporting Dog and #1 ESS
- Won 103 Sporting Group Firsts and 44 Bests in Show in 2016
- Owner & Breeder: Dorothy Cherry/Handler: Howard Huber, Jr.
Hound Group – “Gia” GCHS Grandcru Giaconda/Greyhound
- Finished 2016 as #1 Hound and #7 among all breeds, winning 46 Bests in Show, 18 RBISs, and 90 Group Firsts
- Owners: M. Steele, A. Phelan, R. Tomlin, R. Gaudet/Breeders: Melanie Steele, Rose Tomlin and Rindi Gaudet/Handler: Rindi Gaudet
Working Group – “Devlin” GCHP Mephisto’s Speak Of The Devil/Boxer
- Finished 2016 as #1 Boxer, #1 Working Dog, #2 All Breed
- Won 61 Bests in Show, 21 RBISs and 110 Working Group Firsts in 2016
Owners: Mrs. Jack L. Billhardt - Woods End Boxers
and Mr. Sergio Tenenbaum /Breeders: Michelle Yeadon, Peter Yeadon, Jr. & Monika Pinsker /Handlers: Diego and Eve Garcia
Terrier Group – “Cristo” GCHP Hampton Court’s Monte Cristo/Wire Fox
- Finished 2016 as #1 Terrier and #4 All Breed
- Won 36 Bests in Show and 129 Terrier Group Firsts in 2016
- Owner & Breeder: Victor Malzoni Jr./Handlers: Leonardo and Jody Garcini
Toy Group – “ Emmitt” GCHB Tamarin Tailback/Affenpinscher
- 2016 was the Year of the Monkey and Emmitt finished 2016 as “King of the Jungle”
- Won 13 Bests in Show and 78 Toy Group Firsts in 2016
- Owners: Doyle J. and Carol Girouard/Breeder: Tamarin Kennels/Handlers: Alfonso Escobedo and Ashlie Whitmore
Non-Sporting Group – “Vinny” GCHP Sabe’s Simply Invincible/Boston
- During his career, he won 67 Best in Shows, 44 RBISs, and 205 Terrier Group Firsts
- In 2016, Vinny was #8 All Breed, #1 Non-Sporting Group and #1 Boston Terrier
- Owners: Joseph & Carla Sanchez, Robert Looker and Sharon Saberton/Breeder: Sharon Saberton/Handler: Jorge Olivera
Herding Group & Best in Show – “Preston” GCHB Cordmaker Mr. Blue
- Finished 2016 as #1 Among All Breeds, #1 Herding Group and #1 Puli
- Preston won 83 Bests in Show and 159 Herding Group Firsts in 2016
- Among his prestigious wins, he won Best in Show at the American Kennel Club National Championship Show
- Owners: E. Charles, J. Beaudoin, L. Pitts, P. Kelly & S. Huebner/Breeder: Sue Huebner/Handlers: Linda and Mike Pitts
The Obedience Winner:
Obedience Dog – “Tapper” OTCH Sunfire’s What’s On Tap UDX/Golden
- Finished 2016 as the #1 Obedience Dog Of The Year and was the #2 dog in 2015
- Owners: Joe & Lynn Heidinger/Breeders: Barb Biewer and Christine Osborn/Handler: Lynn Heidinger
Winkies Annual Achievement Award winners, included:
- Best Professional Handler – Janice Hayes, who is known for impeccably presenting and caring for the dogs she handles
- Best Owner/Handler – Patricia Haines, DVM, who is well-known for her success showing her Oncore Pointers to Group and Best in Show honors
- Outstanding Breeder - Douglas & Michaelanne Johnson, who breed Old English Sheepdogs and Bouviers des Flandres under the Bugaboo/Rocheuses prefixes
- Show of the Year – Morris & Essex Kennel Club, which is held every five years, stands out for its tradition and heritage
- Judge of the Year - William P. Shelton, who is known for interacting constructively with exhibitors as they discuss breeding and breed traits
About Show Dogs of the Year Awards
The Show Dogs of the Year Awards have been celebrating the excellence of the top group winning show dogs, along with their owners, handlers and breeders for 62 years. The awards are presented at a black tie banquet held in New York City immediately prior to the Westminster Kennel Club show annually. Honored dogs must achieve the most group wins during a single calendar year at American Kennel Club-sanctioned conformation shows. Other awards are presented during the event to top professionals within the show dogs industry, as well as the Dogs in Review Annual Achievement Awards, affectionately known as the Winkies. The awards and event are sponsored by presenting sponsor, Purina® Pro Plan® and presented by Dogs in Review. For more information, visit: http://www.showdogsoftheyear.com.
About Purina Pro Plan – Ninety-eight of the Top 100 Show Dogs* choose Purina Pro Plan. Our goal is to give your dog the nutrition to be his or her absolute best, helping him or her to be energetic and resilient and to maintain an ideal body condition, healthy skin and a stunning coat. Because being the best he can be means something different for every dog, our wide range of dry and wet foods and snacks, sold exclusively at pet specialty stores, can be found in four specialized categories formulated for a dog’s unique needs. For more information, visit www.proplan.com or follow @ProPlan on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Google+. The brand is manufactured by Nestlé Purina PetCare, which promotes responsible pet care, humane education, community involvement, and the positive bond between people and their pets. A premier global manufacturer of pet products, Nestlé Purina PetCare is part of Swiss-based Nestle S.A., a global leader in nutrition, health and wellness.
*AKC Top DogsSM All Breed Competition through December 31, 2016
The handler or owners of these champions may have received Purina Pro Plan dog food as Purina ambassadors.
The Trupanion policy offers one simple accident and illness medical insurance plan for dogs and cats. With a passion for pets and a policy built by veterinarians, Trupanion helps pet owners provide their beloved dogs and cats the best veterinary care possible, while reducing the worry about the cost of that care. Trupanion is a registered trademark owned by Trupanion, Inc. Underwritten in Canada by Omega General Insurance Company and in the United States by American Pet Insurance Company, 6100-4th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108. Please visit http://AmericanPetInsurance.com to review all available pet health insurance products.
Vetericyn makes innovative, safe, and effective animal wellness products for skin, eye, ear, and coat care. The Plus® line of products are the first line of defense in the management of skin abrasions, lacerations, minor irritations, hot spots, and cuts on animals. Vetericyn Plus products contain hypochlorous technology, the new standard in wound care, setting the stage for optimal healing conditions. It is safe, non-toxic, and contains no antibiotics or steroids. FoamCare® is Vetericyn’s newest product line and offers a revolutionary spray-on, foaming shampoo that is changing the grooming process for companion pets and horses alike. FoamCare shampoo is formulated and optimized specifically for the animal’s coat density. It provides a deeper clean that nourishes the skin and rinses easily for optimal conditioning. In addition to over-the-counter offerings, clinical strength formulas are available and used by veterinarians worldwide. Vetericyn is manufactured and bottled by Innovacyn, Inc. They can be found online at Vetericyn.com/.
About Lumina Media
Lumina Media is a leading media company that connects brands with passionate audiences of enthusiasts by providing iconic content across all platforms. With extensive reach and experience, the company’s media engages, informs and inspires, while its platforms ensure the right media is delivered whenever, however and wherever audiences want it. Founded in 2013, Lumina Media is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. For more information, visit www.luminamedia.com.