WHEAT RIDGE, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After several years of planning and construction, Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital, a leading provider of veterinary care for pets for more than 60 years, moved into its new hospital today. The state-of-the-art facility is located at 44th and Kipling in Wheat Ridge, Colo., and will be approximately 37,000 square feet, nearly triple the size of the former hospital.
As part of the move, more than dozen dogs and cats were expertly transported from the former hospital to the new site and all are resting comfortably in their new surroundings.
“The planning and logistics around closing one hospital and emergency department while simultaneously opening a new one, in addition to moving our patients and the vital medical equipment into the new facility, was no small feat,” said Stacy D. Meola, MS, DVM, DACVECC, Associate Medical Director. “We’re excited to be in our modern hospital, and we look forward to continuing to serve this community by providing excellent patient care for the next 60+ years.”
The new hospital features include:
- Seven surgery suites
- Larger emergency department, staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by experienced emergency and trauma caregivers with separate entrance, check-in and waiting area for pet owners
- Dedicated Critical Care Unit (CCU)
- Denver area’s only 24-hour animal blood bank
- Dedicated dental suite with three dental stations
- Physical therapy/rehabilitation center with underwater treadmill
- Specialized surgical and ophthalmology suite (providing the most advanced care for cataract and lens surgeries)
- Imaging center with a new 64-slice CT scanner and 1.5 Tesla MRI (helping the team obtain images in less time, and many patients can have a CT scan under light sedation rather than general anesthesia)
- In-house reference laboratory, providing efficient and quality lab test results for patients throughout Denver and the Rocky Mountain region
- Separate oncology ward for patients undergoing cancer treatment
“Since 1955, Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital has been providing outstanding pet care in the Denver metro area,” said Donald A. Ostwald Jr., DVM, DABVP, Senior Vice President of Hospital Operations for Ethos Veterinary Health. “This new facility allows us to offer the general wellness care, 24/7 emergency services, and the most advanced medical and surgical treatments available in a spacious, modern hospital that will be more comfortable for pets, their owners and our dedicated team.”
About Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital
Founded in 1955 as a one-person general practice, Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital merged with Denver Veterinary Specialists in 1994 to combine the general practice and specialty referral practice. In 2016, Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital joined three other specialty hospitals to become a part of Ethos Veterinary Health, a provider of specialty and emergency care for pets with 14 locations across the U.S. Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital has held accreditation with the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) since 1963 for general practice and became one of the first hospitals in the U.S. to be accredited through the AAHA Referral Standards in 2008.