SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Datos IO™, the application-centric data management company, today announced that it has appointed Peter Smails as its vice president of marketing and business development to help accelerate the company’s growth and market awareness. Previously the vice president of product marketing with Dell EMC, Peter has over two decades of experience building and scaling marketing organizations. His addition to the Datos IO management team adds critical marketing leadership to the company as it experiences rapid customer adoption driven by the enterprise move to hyper-scale, next-generation applications, and the transition from traditional data center architectures to public cloud and multi-cloud platforms.
“To harness the power of the cloud, organizations are rapidly transforming their application environments and IT infrastructure, and they need a completely new way to manage their data,” said Tarun Thakur, co-founder and CEO of Datos IO. “The Datos IO RecoverX flagship product meets these requirements which is why we are seeing companies in markets ranging from financial services, to media and entertainment, to retail deploying it to support their critical applications and underlying data. Peter’s experience, particularly in the data protection space, will be invaluable as we scale our business, expand into new cloud-native use cases, and partner with global leaders in storage, server and cloud platforms.”
Peter will report to Tarun and will be responsible for all aspects of marketing, including corporate and product marketing, and alliances with key industry partners. He brings a wealth of experience in data storage, data protection and data management and has an established track record at both small and large companies. Prior to joining Datos IO, Peter served as vice president of product marketing for Dell EMC’s $17B+ portfolio of storage and data protection products. His experience also includes executive sales and marketing roles at Hitachi Data Systems and CA Technologies, and with venture-backed companies including Storwize (acquired by IBM), Smart Storage (acquired by OTG Software), and Datext (acquired by Lotus Development).
“In an industry that has seen little innovation in the last 20+ years, Datos IO’s radically different, application-centric approach is poised to lead the market for years to come,” said Smails. “The rapid enterprise adoption of Datos IO’s RecoverX speaks to the magnitude of the problem we are addressing and I’m excited to build on this success and expand our portfolio and market reach so that organizations all over the world can use Datos IO to protect, mobilize, and monetize their most valuable asset; their data.”
Since its inception in 2014, Datos IO has been on a rapid trajectory, including:
- Data Management Architecture Reinvented – The enterprise move to multi-cloud is now a reality and introduces new data management requirements. Datos IO is reinventing data management, starting with a seminal distributed data management architecture, CODR, that lays the foundation for all of its products and solutions.
- Customer Adoption – After signing its first 10 customers within six months of product availability, Datos IO has experienced rapid enterprise adoption including a Fortune 100 home improvement retailer, a Fortune 200 security organization, and a number of Global 2000 enterprise customers across multiple industries.
- Industry Recognition - Datos IO recently won the 2016 Product of the Year by Storage Magazine/TechTarget, the only data management start-up to receive this prestigious award.
- Datos IO: http://datos.io/
- Datos IO Blog: http://datos.io/blog/
- Datos IO RecoverX: http://datos.io/recoverX/
About Datos IO
Datos IO is the application-centric data management company for the multi-cloud world. Our flagship Datos IO RecoverX delivers a radically novel approach to data management, helping organizations embrace the cloud with confidence by delivering solutions that protect, mobilize and monetize their data -- at scale. Datos IO was recently awarded Product of the Year by Storage Magazine, and was recognized by Gartner in the 2016 Hype Cycle for Storage Technologies. Backed by Lightspeed Venture Partners and True Ventures, Datos IO is headquartered in San Jose, California. To learn more, please visit http://datos.io and follow us on Twitter at @datos_io.