MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--WAPA Television, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hemisphere Media Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: HMTV) and Puerto Rico’s ratings leader for eight consecutive years, today announced that it set record ratings for the World Baseball Classic final on March 22nd.
The final between the United States and Puerto Rico delivered the highest ratings of any program in Puerto Rico over the last twelve months with a 38.4 household rating and a 69.9% share and outperformed 2013’s World Baseball Classic final by 41%. Combined ratings for all 2017 World Baseball Classic games also outperformed total ratings for the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics by 61%.
“The record ratings success of the 2017 World Baseball Classic is testament to the enormous popularity and passion for the game of baseball in Puerto Rico and WAPA’s continued broad appeal and dominance as the leading broadcast network in Puerto Rico,” said Alan Sokol, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hemisphere.
About Hemisphere Media Group, Inc.
Hemisphere Media Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:HMTV) is the only publicly traded pure-play U.S. media company targeting the high growth Spanish-language television and cable networks business in the U.S. and Latin America. Headquartered in Miami, Florida, Hemisphere owns and operates five leading U.S. Hispanic cable networks, two Latin American cable networks, and the leading broadcast television network in Puerto Rico. Hemisphere’s networks consist of:
- Cinelatino, the leading Spanish-language movie channel with over 20.0 million subscribers across the U.S., Latin America and Canada, including 4.6 million subscribers in the U.S. and 15.4 million subscribers in Latin America, featuring the largest selection of contemporary Spanish-language blockbusters and critically-acclaimed titles from Mexico, Latin America, Spain and the Caribbean.
- WAPA, Puerto Rico’s leading broadcast television network with the highest primetime and full day ratings in Puerto Rico. Founded in 1954, WAPA produces approximately 70 hours per week of top-rated news and entertainment programming.
- WAPA America, the leading cable network targeting Puerto Ricans and other Caribbean Hispanics living in the U.S., featuring the highly-rated news and entertainment programming produced by WAPA. WAPA America is distributed in the U.S. to 5.3 million subscribers.
- Pasiones, dedicated to showcasing the most popular telenovelas and serialized dramas, distributed in the U.S. and Latin America. Pasiones has 4.6 million subscribers in the U.S. and 13.2 million subscribers in Latin America.
- Centroamerica TV, the leading network targeting Central Americans living in the U.S., the third-largest U.S. Hispanic group, featuring the most popular news, entertainment and soccer programming from Central America. Centroamerica TV is distributed in the U.S. to 4.1 million subscribers.
- Television Dominicana, the leading network targeting Dominicans living in the U.S., featuring the most popular news, entertainment and baseball programming from the Dominican Republic. Television Dominicana is distributed in the U.S. to 3.2 million subscribers.