SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ovum, the market-leading research and consulting firm, in partnership with Internet of Things World 2017, today announces the five key trends to watch in the Internet of Things (IoT) market in 2017. 2016 was an important year in the development of the IoT, and 2017 will be even more significant and disruptive, for both technology players and the industries where IoT is being deployed.
The five themes identified in Ovum’s “2017 Trends to Watch: IoT” report, that service providers and vendors should expect to see rapidly evolving this year, include:
- LPWA goes mainstream. The rise of Low-Power Wide-Area Network (LPWA) technologies, in particular, Narrowband IoT (NB-IoT) and Long Term Evolution for Machines (LTE-M), will support a much wider range of IoT use cases, enabling low-cost, low-bandwidth, long battery life IoT devices for applications in areas including smart cities, smart metering, and the connected home.
- Vendors and service providers get to grips with IoT diversity. There will be an increased service provider focus on technology diversification to meet more diverse client needs, and on developer outreach, although telcos face plenty of competition in executing on the latter.
- Security rises to the top of the IoT agenda. IoT security will become a core focus for both enterprises and providers, and will be part of every deployment discussion, as well as coming onto the radar for regulators.
- Big data and machine learning unlock new IoT opportunities. A shift toward the delivery of IoT data analytics at the ‘edge’ (closer to where data is collected/aggregated), and the development of new tools for streaming data analytics, are important steps toward enabling the use of IoT data to feed machine-learning engines and other artificial intelligence applications.
- The IoT’s disruptive impact will drive the growth of new as-a-service business models. Innovative business models will continue to evolve in many IoT verticals, including as-a-service models and event-based charging models.
“Our research shows that enterprises across many different verticals are now well aware of the potential benefits of the IoT, although most are still in the early stages of thinking about how, when, and where to deploy IoT solutions,” said Alexandra Rehak, Practice Leader, Internet of Things, Ovum. “Consumers are also getting in on the act, thanks to smart home devices and platforms such as Amazon's Alexa.”
“We saw the concept of the IoT go more mainstream in 2016. There was heavy media coverage of both the positives, for example Wi-Fi in your car and AI assistants in your home, and the negatives including DDoS attacks using IoT devices and poor transparency on data usage,” continued Gavin Whitechurch, Founder of Internet of Things World. “Behind the hype, solid progress is being made on a number of IoT technologies, tools, and business models, setting the scene for significant evolution of the IoT in 2017. We look forward to seeing many of these technologies on display at this year’s Internet of Things World.”
Ovum is a market-leading research and consulting firm focused on helping digital service providers and their vendor partners thrive in the connected digital economy. Through its 150 analysts worldwide, it offers expert analysis and strategic insight across the IT, telecoms, and media industries. Founded in 1985, Ovum has one of the most experienced analyst teams in the industry and is a respected source of guidance for technology business leaders, CIOs, vendors, service providers, and regulators looking for comprehensive, accurate, and insightful market data, research, and consulting. With 23 offices across six continents, Ovum offers a truly global perspective on technology and media markets and provides thousands of clients with insight including workflow tools, forecasts, surveys, market assessments, technology audits, and opinion.
Ovum is part of the Business Intelligence Division of Informa plc, a leading business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events group listed on the London Stock Exchange.
About Internet of Things World
Internet of Things World 2017 is the world’s largest and most comprehensive IoT event with over 11,000 attendees, 400+ industry thought leaders and 250+ exhibitors. With a focus on monetizing the IoT revolution through bringing together ecosystem-wide attendees, stakeholders and investors, Internet of Things World provides a unique opportunity to meet key players within the marketplace.
With a comprehensive conference agenda covering everything from data analytics and AI to smart homes, enterprise IoT, blockchain and much more, Internet of Things World 2017 boasts the most comprehensive IoT agenda in the marketplace. In addition to conference passes, the event offers free exhibition only passes for those wishing to browse the expo hall, allowing visitor’s access to selected summits and the exhibition floor for networking and meeting new suppliers.
For more information about the show or to register for a pass, visit tmt.knect365.com/iot-world.
Media passes are complimentary and will be received upon completion of the Media Registration form and qualification verification. The press registration form can be found here.