Although the term biodegradable polymers is well known, the controversy within the industry as to which materials should be considered biodegradable continues unabated. These resins currently include polyolefin-based compositions containing starch and polymers containing aromatic groups that microorganisms have difficulty utilizing in their metabolism.
Furthermore, there are additives said to convert petroleum-based resins to biodegradable versions. These resultant resins are said to be oxo-biodegradable. Part of the current debate revolves around defining an acceptable period of time for biodegradation to be completed. Almost all carbon-based materials are biodegradable, if given an acceptable period of time.
This report includes polymers that producers market as fully biodegradable. Most define a fully biodegradable polymer as a polymer that is completely converted by microorganisms to carbon dioxide, water and humus.
In the case of anaerobic biodegradation, carbon dioxide, methane and humus are the degradation products. However, many within the industry insist on a time period for degradation such that the terms biodegradable and compostable are not synonymous. The issue concerning biodegradable versus compostable resins is a very important issue that is discussed in detail.
- An overview of the global markets for biodegradable polymers, defined as polymers that are completely converted by microorganisms to carbon dioxide, water, and humus.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2015, estimates for 2016, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2021.
- A discussion of how this niche market is beset with a variety of roadblocks, led by high prices and lack of industrial infrastructure in the United States.
- A look at the strong global legislative mandate to increase the usage of these materials.
- Coverage of the chemical types of biodegradable polymers along with their properties, production, producers, and applications.
- Characterization of the industry by new technologies, stringent environmental restraints, and very unstable oil prices, among other issues.
- Profiles of major players in the industry.
Key Topics Covered:
2: Executive Summary
5: Global Markets
6: Global Industry Structure
7: Patent Analysis
For more information about this report visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/4gftqh/biodegradable