NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Express (NYSE:AXP) today announced a new generation of benefits for its iconic Platinum Card. The benefits are built for today’s global travelers who enjoy exclusive access, unique experiences and best-in-class service whether they’re traveling across the globe or in their home city.
Starting on March 30, 2017, consumers with The Platinum Card® will receive exclusive access in the Uber app to a new Uber Rides with Platinum benefit, which provides up to $200 annually in Uber credits for U.S. rides and automatic VIP status where available. Platinum Card Members will also receive 5X Membership Rewards points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com. This is in addition to the recently unveiled 5X Membership Rewards points on airfare booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel. Card Members will also get access to an expanded Global Lounge Collection, a new Global Dining Collection, more global events, enhanced mobile servicing options, and all of the other benefits that currently come with Platinum Card Membership.
“Because we’ve built long term relationships with our Platinum Card Members, we have a deep understanding of what they value most about their Membership – access to exclusive experiences, rich travel rewards and superior service,” said Janey Whiteside, senior vice president and general manager of Global Charge Products, Benefits & Services, American Express. “We’re elevating the Platinum Card to further deliver in these key areas, while providing new benefits that enhance their lifestyles. We want to ensure that we’re continually exceeding our Card Members’ expectations.”
Uber Rides with Platinum
American Express is deepening its relationship with Uber, a service regularly used by a large portion of American Express Card Members. Through the new Uber Rides with Platinum benefit, which is delivered in an exclusive Uber in-app experience, Platinum Card Members will receive up to $200 in annual Uber credits for rides within the United States as well as Uber VIP status where available. Card Members will receive $15 in Uber credit per month, with an additional $20 bonus in December, when they add their American Express Platinum Card as a payment method to the Uber app.
“This premium, first-of-its-kind benefit gives Platinum Card Members another reason to use Uber – a reliable, safe way to travel in 450 plus cities around the world," said Emil Michael, Chief Business Officer, Uber. "We’re excited to continue to expand our longstanding partnership with American Express to provide even more Card Members with valuable rewards and VIP treatment when they ride with Uber.”
The Next Generation of Platinum Card Membership
In addition to the new Uber benefit, American Express has redesigned the Platinum Card to give Card Members a complete range of benefits they can rely on at every step of their journey.
- 5X Membership Rewards: In addition to the recently unveiled 5X points for flights when booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel, Card Members will be able to receive 5X Membership Rewards points for eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Expansion of the Global Lounge Collection: Platinum Card Members have access to the growing Global Lounge Collection, which provides access to the most airport lounges from any U.S. credit card. The Global Lounge Collection unlocks access to more than 1,000 American Express and partner airport lounges, in more than 500 cities, across 120 countries, including future Centurion Lounge locations in Hong Kong and Philadelphia scheduled to open later this year.
- Complimentary Additional Gold Cards: Platinum Card Members will be able to add Additional Gold Cards on their Platinum Card Account for no annual fee and existing Additional Gold Cards will also have no annual fee. Card Members can earn Membership Rewards points for all eligible purchases made by their Additional Card Member(s).
- Access to a new Global Dining Collection: American Express has partnered with world-renowned chefs, including Thomas Keller, Daniel Humm, Stephanie Izard and José Andrés, to provide Platinum Card Members with access to one-of-a-kind dining experiences like the EMP Summer House in the Hamptons, a pop-up restaurant from the Eleven Madison Park team exclusively available for American Express Card Members. Card Members will also get access to exclusive reserved seating, culinary events and other exciting benefits.
- More Global Events: American Express is expanding its By Invitation Only® program to include more Card Member experiences in top destinations around the world, such as premium access to the Grand Prix de Monaco, an enthusiast’s dream trip through French wine country and a global fashion tour with Harper’s Bazaar to celebrate the iconic magazine’s 150th Anniversary.
- Continued value at Fine Hotels and Resorts: Platinum Card Members can receive valuable benefits including complimentary daily breakfast for two and guaranteed 4PM late checkout offering an average total value of $550 whenever they book at a Fine Hotels and Resorts property with American Express Travel.
- New Card Design: In addition to the enhanced benefits for Platinum Card Members, American Express is introducing a new, sleek metal Card design.
These are part of a growing roster of benefits that Platinum Card Members can already take advantage of including: up to $200 Airline Fee Credit that can be used for incidental fees such as baggage on a selected airline each year, Starwood Preferred Guest® Gold Status and Hilton Honors™ Gold Status, access to the Delta Private Jet program, complimentary access to Wi-Fi hotspots provided by Boingo Wireless, a Fee Credit for Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® program application and no foreign exchange fees.
True to the brand’s heritage of service, American Express is also bringing personalized service to Card Members’ pockets by offering Platinum Card Members seamless access to concierge, travel and Customer Care Professionals through the Amex Mobile app. Also coming to the app is a lounge finder feature that will easily allow Card Members to find one of the 1,000 plus lounges in the Global Lounge Collection when they are on the go.
Beginning on March 30, the new annual fee for the Platinum Card will be $550. For existing Platinum Card Members, the new annual fee will take effect on Card Members’ annual renewal date on or after September 1, 2017.
Terms and Limitations apply. More information about these new benefits can be found at: americanexpress.com/platinumupdate
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress,foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, corporate card, business travel and corporate responsibility.