BENTONVILLE, Ark.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For customers, time is money. To help customers save this new form of currency, Walmart today announced new capabilities in the Walmart app that create a faster, easier and more convenient experience for Pharmacy and Money Services customers. Along with these expanded app features, Walmart will create a new store experience that allows customers to skip traditional service lines using “express lanes” in these areas. These new capabilities will start to roll out to Walmart customers in March and are anticipated to be available in nearly all of Walmart’s 4,700 stores by fall.
“These capabilities are the latest example of how we’re bringing together all of the conveniences of Walmart – great stores, convenient pickup, easy checkout and a top-notch app – to deliver one seamless shopping experience for customers,” said Daniel Eckert, senior vice president, Walmart Services. “We’re delivering a new and better experience in areas of our business that are essential for busy families. By making them faster and easier, we’re living up to our promise – to save customers money and time.”
For years, customers have relied on Walmart to save them money on their prescriptions. These new additions will further enrich the customer experience.
- Easy refills: After a quick, one-time setup, customers can quickly refill prescriptions, track order status, and view pricing and pickup details – all through the Walmart app.
- Skip the line: Once their order has been placed, customers can use new “express lanes” for easy pickup. Completing the transaction then happens in three easy steps:
- Open: Open the Walmart app and tap “prescription ready for pickup.” Enter a PIN or use Touch ID to activate the camera.
- Scan: Scan the code displayed at the register, connecting the app.
- Done: Associate delivers the prescription … and it’s done: The payment is processed via Walmart Pay and an eReceipt will be sent to the app and can be viewed at any time.
“What our Pharmacy business is likely most well-known for is our $4 prescription program that has saved our customers nearly $5 billion,” said Paul Beahm, senior vice president, Walmart Health and Wellness Operations. “Starting today, we’ll be known for saving them more than just money. By developing and combining the best of our app with a service that our customers depend on daily, we’re driving change that makes living better easier.”
Money Services Update
Walmart is removing the hassle of paperwork for the millions of customers who transfer money in a Walmart store each month. The additions to the app will also simplify the process for associates by creating more opportunities for them to serve customers. At nearly 1,200 of the company’s Money Services locations, customers will also be able to save time using an “express lane.”
- Remove the hassle of paperwork: Customers enter information securely in the Walmart app and head to the store. Previously, customers needed to fill out paperwork in stores; now, this work can be done from the convenience of home or on the go.
- Move to the front of the line: Once in store, customers can use the “express lane” to move to the front of the line. In stores where there isn’t a Money Services desk, customers can visit the Customer Service desk. Customers can complete their Money Services transaction in three simple steps:
- Open: Open the Walmart app and tap “money ready to send.” Enter a PIN or use Touch ID to activate the camera.
- Scan: Scan the code displayed at the register, connecting the app. Customers then verify their information and pay.
- Done: Customers are on their way. A receipt and reference number is sent to the app and can quickly be texted or emailed to the recipient.
Walmart is committed to transforming its business and innovating through technology investments. This announcement follows a string of other technology-focused updates from Walmart, including the expansion of the company’s online grocery pickup service, the investment in store pickup, and the offer of free two-day shipping on millions of items without a membership fee. Customers should stay tuned for more announcements as Walmart continues to find ways for them to shop when and how they want.
These new Pharmacy and Money Services capabilities are some of the most powerful additions to the Walmart app. The app was built with an emphasis on making shopping faster and easier for customers – from building a gift registry to finding where an item is located in store. The app also makes it easy for customers to shop the millions of items found on Walmart.com.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better - anytime and anywhere - in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com, on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart.