NEWARK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Audible.com today announced that its two production arms, Audible Studios and the Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX), received a combined 26 nominations for the 2017 Audie Awards, which honor outstanding audiobooks and other spoken-word performances. Audible has finalists in sixteen categories. Winners will be announced by the Audio Publishers Association at the Audies Gala on June 1, 2017, in New York.
“We are so proud of the Audible Studios and ACX productions recognized this year, all of which attest to our ever-rising standards of quality,” said Audible EVP and Publisher Beth Anderson. “We are honored to have been able to work with some of Hollywood’s finest actors in 2016, and we are particularly excited that three Audible titles have been named as finalists in the 'Original Work' category for the fourth year in a row. The category continues to expand the range of listening experiences we offer our customers.”
Among the highlights of this year’s Audie finalists for Audible:
- Academy Award-winning actor Sean Penn’s captivating performance of Pappy Pariah’s audio original satire Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff in the “Best Male Narrator” category
- Academy Award-winning actress Emma Thompson’s chilling interpretation of The Turn of the Screw in the “Best Female Narrator” category
- Alien: Out of the Shadows, an audio original dramatization, written by Tim Lebbon and Dirk Maggs, including elaborate sound design, music, and a full cast, in both the “Best Audio Drama” and the “Best Original Work” categories
- Stage and screen actor Richard Armitage’s charming performance of David Copperfield in the “Best Literary Fiction and Classics” category
- Zachary Quinto’s simmering rendition of New York Times bestselling author John Scalzi’s audio original novella, The Dispatcher, in both the “Best Original Work” and “Best Science Fiction” categories
- Golden Globe-nominated actress Scarlett Johansson’s whimsical performance of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in the “Best Literary Fiction and Classics” category
- Acclaimed actors Dominic West, Janet McTeer, and the cast of the London Stage play Les Liaisons Dangereuses for their performance of the audio drama of the same name in the “Best Multi-Voiced Performance” category
- Nine of Audible’s 26 finalists this year were produced and/or distributed via the Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX), an online audio rights marketplace and production platform launched by Audible in 2011.
Audible invented and commercialized the first digital audio player in 1997, and has since been at the forefront of the explosively growing audiobook download segment. Audible members downloaded an average of more than 17 books over the course of the year. More than half of new Audible members are first-time audiobook buyers.
ABOUT AUDIBLE, INC.
Audible, Inc., an Amazon.com, Inc. subsidiary (NASDAQ:AMZN), is the leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment, offering customers a new way to enhance and enrich their lives every day. Audible was created to unleash the emotive music in language and the habituating power and utility of verbal expression. Audible content includes more than 350,000 audio programs from leading audiobook publishers, broadcasters, entertainers, magazine and newspaper publishers, and business information providers. Audible is also the provider of spoken-word audio products for Apple’s iTunes Store.