BALTIMORE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In Maryland, the Anthem Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Anthem, Inc. and Amerigroup Maryland, supported non-profit organizations and programs that benefited more than 10,000 people throughout the state in 2016. The Anthem Foundation support efforts focused on non-profit organizations dedicated to reducing health disparities and empowering local residents to take control of their health.
“We are incredibly proud of the work being done by the Anthem Foundation to help inspire children, adolescents and adults about living a healthier and happier lifestyle,” said Vincent Ancona, president of Amerigroup Maryland. “At Amerigroup Maryland, we understand the importance of cancer prevention, prenatal care and an active lifestyle and we look forward to continuing our partnerships with organizations that work tirelessly to advance these, and other, healthy behaviors.”
From teaching lifesaving skills, to increasing cancer screening and helping youth discover that eating healthy and staying active can be fun, the Anthem Foundation provided support for programs focused on some of Maryland’s most complex health issues. The Foundation’s support included funding for:
- The American Heart Association Hands-Only CPR training. With Anthem Foundation support, we were able to secure an interactive CPR training kiosk at Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) Airport and host various community events to support CPR training. In total, nearly 8,000 people across the state were trained in the life-saving skill of hands-only CPR.
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s Triple Play program. The program benefited more than 150 Maryland youth by providing Game Room renovations and activities promoting healthy, active lifestyles.
- The American Cancer Society partnership, which provided 251 colorectal cancer screenings and 2,216 interventions for uninsured or underinsured low-income individuals throughout Maryland.
- The March of Dimes who, through our grant, offered Centering Pregnancy programs to 515 women. Through these activities and others, Maryland achieved a preterm birth rate of 8.2% compared to 9.6% U.S. average.
- OASIS and the CATCH Healthy Habits Program. With support from Anthem Foundation, we reached nearly 775 adults in Montgomery and Prince George's County this year to promote healthy eating and being more physically active.
- The League for People with Disabilities to engage 25 students with physical disabilities in a fitness program that helped them achieve a reduction in body mass index (BMI).
- The Maryland Assembly of School-Based Health Care and five School-based Health Centers (SBHCs), which engaged more than 500 students in health programming around childhood obesity, diabetes, well-care and emotional health.
In addition to grant support, Amerigroup Maryland employees also volunteers nearly 1,000 hours of time in 2016 and donated more than $30,000 through “Dollars for Does” grants and the Associate Giving Program.
Beyond the impact the Anthem Foundation is making at the Maryland state level, associates of Anthem donated more than 55,000 volunteer hours to benefit countless nonprofits in communities across the country. And, during the year-round associate giving program supported by an Anthem Foundation match, they raised $4.3 million, including $431,000 alone raised through this year’s Giving Tuesday campaign.
For more information, see Anthem’s annual online Corporate Responsibility Report.
About Amerigroup Maryland
Amerigroup Maryland has provided health care coverage since 1999. Statewide, we serve approximately 2746,000 members in the Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs. Amerigroup Maryland is one of the state’s largest Managed Care Organization (MCO) and is one of the largest MCOs in Baltimore City and the counties of Baltimore, Montgomery, Prince George’s and Anne Arundel. Employees share genuine pride in making a difference in the lives of people who might need a little extra help.
About The Anthem Foundation
The Anthem Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Anthem, Inc. and through charitable contributions and programs, the Foundation promotes the inherent commitment of Anthem, Inc. to enhance the health and well-being of individuals and families in communities that Anthem, Inc. and its affiliated health plans serve. The Foundation focuses its funding on strategic initiatives that address and provide innovative solutions to health care challenges, as well as promoting the Healthy Generations Program, a multi-generational initiative that targets specific disease states and medical conditions. These disease states and medical conditions include: prenatal care in the first trimester, low birth weight babies, cardiac morbidity rates, long term activities that decrease obesity and increase physical activity, diabetes prevalence in adult populations, adult pneumococcal and influenza vaccinations and smoking cessation. The Foundation also coordinates the company’s year-round Associate Giving program which provides a 50 percent match of associates’ pledges, as well as its Volunteer Time Off and Dollars for Doers community service programs. To learn more about the Anthem Foundation, please visit http://www.anthem.foundation and its blog at http://anthemfoundation.tumblr.com.