BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--XebiaLabs, a recognized leader in DevOps and Continuous Delivery software tools, today announced new “code-centric” capabilities in the latest version of its enterprise DevOps platform, version 6.1. These features empower developers to more easily manage software delivery pipelines using the method they know best—code—while less technical team members can continue to use XebiaLabs’ highly regarded visual user interface.
Application Release Automation has become a critical function for successfully managing the complex release pipelines found in today’s enterprises. It’s also crucial to be able to share release data with teams across the business. XebiaLabs 6.1 introduces new code-centric features that let teams define releases entirely with code in addition to using the familiar visual user interface. It also allows for easy integration with code-centric tools such as Jenkins.
- New Xfile DSL for code-centric release definitions – Releases can now be defined in XL Release using code in an Xfile, a Groovy-based DSL designed for release definitions as code. This feature works side by side with XL Release’s current visual release definition capabilities, so users can choose the method that works best for them.
- Integration with other code-centric tools – The new version also includes an enhanced integration with Jenkins that allows developers to start a release or a deployment directly from a Jenkinsfile. Developers can also create and upload packages directly from a Jenkinsfile. These improvements let teams who are using the new Jenkinsfile format work with XebiaLabs using code rather than working through the Jenkins UI.
Code-centric Application Release Automation for Developers
Many team members—particularly less technical users—love the simplicity and clarity of XL Release’s graphical release template editor. And teams across the enterprise benefit from clear visual dashboards and detailed reports. But developers often prefer code over graphical interfaces.
“Our new code-centric features provide greater flexibility for developers and help them to better integrate into enterprise DevOps initiatives,” said XebiaLabs CTO Vincent Partington. “By defining a release with code, developers can use the same tools and practices to manage releases that they use for other project artifacts.
Furthermore, releases can be versioned and stored in source control, developers can diff/compare multiple versions of releases, and they can apply the same review cycles as they are already using for the applications they are coding.”
Dual-Mode Application Release Automation for Scalable Enterprise DevOps
This code-centric way to define a release is in addition to XebiaLabs' current GUI-centric workflow. Enterprises can offer both methods to accommodate the needs of different users.
“Some tools, such as Jenkins, cater primarily to developers by emphasizing code as the primary way to manage releases,” said Tim Buntel, VP of Products for XebiaLabs. “But this approach doesn’t satisfy the real-world complexities of release orchestration in large enterprises. Enterprises need a complete, balanced solution: code-centric capabilities for developers, and compliance and reporting features, a visual tool, and a user-friendly UI for other participants in the release process.
“Using XebiaLabs’ code-centric features to augment cross-enterprise DevOps strategy will help bridge the gap between Development and Operations, letting Development teams use the modality that works best for them to release great code and giving the business access to the critical release information it needs to succeed.”
More 6.1 Enhancements
The new 6.1 release also includes substantial performance enhancements, more powerful customization for tasks, an improved Task Progress dashboard, optimized server parameters, support for multiple LDAP servers and popular middleware and a Support Accelerator feature.
Version 6.1 of XL Release, XL Deploy and the updated plugins for Jenkins are available for download at www.xebialabs.com.
Learn More about Release Orchestration and Deployment Automation
1. Experience how enterprises are making DevOps more effective with XL Release and XL Deploy. Download a free trial here: https://xebialabs.com/products/
2. Read about “Release Pipeline Orchestration: An Essential Practice for Continuous Delivery at Enterprise Scale” (white paper): https://xebialabs.com/resources/whitepapers/release-pipeline-orchestration/
3. Learn how release orchestration with XL Release augments Continuous Integration with Jenkins: Jenkins CI + XebiaLabs for Release Orchestration: A Recipe for Continuous Delivery Success: https://xebialabs.com/community/webinars/jenkins-ci-xebialabs-for-release-orchestration-a-recipe-for-cd-success/
XebiaLabs develops enterprise-scale Continuous Delivery and DevOps software, providing companies with the visibility, automation and control they need to deliver software faster and with less risk. Global market leaders rely on XebiaLabs to meet the increasing demand for accelerated and more reliable software releases.