DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Frontier Pharma: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus - GPCRs and Protein Kinases Dominate Pipeline, with Most Promising First-in-Class Targets Demonstrating Potential Disease-Modifying Effects" drug pipelines to their offering.
Global prevalence of the disease has risen rapidly in the past several decades, primarily as a result of rising obesity, a major risk factor for T2DM. This has resulted in a large and competitive market landscape, with a number of drugs competing with one another for different market segments, across multiple lines of therapy.
The emergence over the past decade of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists, dipeptidyl peptidase 4 (DPP-4) inhibitors and sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT-2) inhibitors has intensified competition. These new drug classes have been highly commercially successful and are now well established within the treatment algorithm.
In spite of these developments, there are still significant unmet needs for T2DM, and the rationale for investment in first-in-class innovation remains strong. First-in-class products account for a considerable proportion of the large T2DM pipeline, with a diverse range of first-in-class targets identified.
The escalating T2DM public healthcare need has resulted in a competitive market landscape
- What is the pathophysiology of T2DM?
- What are the common co-morbidities and complications?
- How has the emergence of new drug classes in the past decade impacted the treatment algorithm?
- What are the most significant unmet needs within the market?
The T2DM pipeline is large and innovative
- Which molecule types and molecular targets are most prominent within the pipeline?
- Which first-in-class targets are most promising?
- How does the ratio of first-in-class targets to first-in-class products differ by stage of development and molecular target class?
The T2DM deals landscape is highly active
- Do T2DM products attract high deal values?
- Which molecule types and molecular targets dominate the deals landscape?
- Which first-in-class pipeline products have no prior involvement in licensing or co-development deals?
For more information about this drug pipelines report visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/tstwg3/frontier_pharma