OLDWICK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In this A.M.BestTV episode, investment experts discuss the reasons behind the growth of Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) as part of insurers' assets and how different sectors of the insurance industry are using them. Click on http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=etf1216 to view the entire program.
The use of ETFs in insurance portfolios is small by percentage, but growing, and the number of insurers that are using them is significant.
“About 800 insurance companies are currently using ETFs, across about 600 different ETFs,” said Stewart Foley, partner, insurance, AUM. “I believe the takeaway there is the broad and prolific use of ETFs.” Additionally, Foley sees about two-thirds of property/casualty and life/health companies using ETFs.
Michael Cafiero, director, ETF Trading, Cantor Fitzgerald & Co., highlighted how property/casualty and life/health companies use ETFs differently.
“Property/casualty companies use ETFs across the whole spectrum, particularly in equity and fixed income,” said Cafiero. “Life insurers are trafficking ETFs, particularly around credit space, as they are having issues getting the exposure that they need and ETFs give them easy cheap liquidity.”
To view the complete webinar, titled, “What Insurers Should Know About ETFs and Issuers,” visit http://www.ambest.com.
Other people that appear in this episode:
- Joshua Penzner, managing director, BlackRock.
Recent episodes of A.M.BestTV include:
- New Risks Include Driverless Cars, Drones, Active Shooters, Says Endurance Global Risks Solutions CEO: Michael Chang, chief executive officer, Endurance Global Risk Solutions (Endurance), said risk coverage opportunities are emerging in real estate, including covering larger retail centers against violence: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=chang1216.
- Infectious Diseases Require Mix of Captive, Commercial Coverage: Health and risk experts gathered at the 2016 Cayman Captive Forum said hospitals have limited coverage options and high potential costs in dealing with outbreaks of infectious diseases: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=imac31216nc.
- Incoming U.S. Administration’s Tax Plans Capture Cayman Attention: Insurers gathered at the 2016 Cayman Captive Forum said Cayman's local insurance expertise and infrastructure should help maintain its position as a leading insurance domicile: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=imac1116nc.
- U.S. Marine Insurers Sail Into Uncertainty: Speakers at the annual meeting of the American Institute of Marine Underwriters said that in the long term, emerging markets and evolving technologies will open up new opportunities, but in the short term, macroeconomic challenges remain a drag on the sector: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=aimu1116.
A.M.BestTV covers exclusive A.M. Best information and reports, targeted topics and key developments in the (re)insurance industry every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sign up for alerts of episodes at http://www.ambest.com/multimedia/ambtvsignup.html. View A.M.BestTV episodes at http://www.ambest.tv.
A.M. Best is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.
Copyright © 2016 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.