Fitch Rates Massachusetts HFA's $86.6MM Hsg Bonds 2016 F, G & H 'AA-'; Outlook Stable

NEW YORK--()--Fitch Ratings has assigned an 'AA-' rating to the following Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency's (MHFA or MassHousing) housing bonds:

--$70.4 million MHFA housing bonds, 2016 series F (Non-AMT);

--$6.17 million MHFA housing bonds, 2016 series G (federally taxable);

--$9.98 million MHFA housing bonds, 2016 series H (federally taxable).

The 2016 series F & G bonds are expected to be sold the week of Sept. 12, 2016 and the 2016 series H bonds will be privately placed. The bonds will close on or about Sept. 22, 2016.

The Rating Outlook is Stable.

SECURITY

The 2016 series F, G, and H parity bonds are special obligations of MHFA and are secured by multifamily mortgages, investments, reserves, and revenues held under the general resolution adopted by MHFA on Dec. 10, 2002.

KEY RATING DRIVERS

INSURED/SUBSIDIZED PORTFOLIO: A majority of the underlying multifamily portfolio is either insured or subsidized. The insured portion of the portfolio mitigates risk related to potential loan losses. Approximately 68% of the multifamily loans (based on outstanding loan balance) are FHA insured, primarily under the FHA risk share program. Of the remaining 32%, approximately two thirds of the properties receive federal or commonwealth subsidies.

SUFFICIENT ASSET PARITY: As of fiscal year (FY) 2015 audited financial statements, the program had an asset parity ratio of 120%, a net interest spread of 27%, and a net operating margin of 18%. The most recent consolidated third-party cash flow statements, which incorporate various Fitch interest-rate and bank bond stress scenarios, demonstrate a minimum asset parity ratio of 114% for the remaining life of the bonds.

SOUND LOAN PORTFOLIO: There are approximately 300 multifamily developments, with an outstanding loan balance of approximately $1.7 billion. The projects are well-seasoned and relatively dispersed throughout the state of Massachusetts. The portfolio has a strong history of performance and currently has only one delinquent mortgage, which represents less than 0.1% of the portfolio. Additionally, current levels of construction risk are mitigated by the strong levels of overcollateralization (OC) within the program.

STRONG MANAGEMENT OVERSIGHT: MHFA has a strong history of administering multifamily programs and Fitch views their management oversight as a credit strength.

RATING SENSITIVITIES

REMOVAL OF EXCESS ASSETS: The housing bond program's asset parity requirement per the general resolution is 101%, and if met, MassHousing can remove funds, which could present negative rating pressure. However, Fitch considers the risk of removal of assets beyond amounts sufficient to cover Fitch stress assumptions to be remote given management's history of leaving sufficient funds within the resolution.

CHANGES IN PORTFOLIO COMPOSITION: The program currently has limited flexibility to take on additional construction risk; therefore, the substantial addition of new construction projects and/or material additions of uninsured projects could put negative pressure on the rating.

CREDIT PROFILE

The 2016 series F, G, & H is the 46th issuance under the general resolution and the bonds are issued on parity with approximately $1.7 billion in outstanding bonds. The proceeds, along with other funds, will be used to provide financing for certain multifamily residential developments. Four of the five proposed new loans to be funded with the bond proceeds will be for the construction/rehabilitation of existing and occupied developments. The permanent loans for the four developments are expected to be insured under the FHA Risk Share program at the 50/50 risk-sharing tier. The fifth proposed loan is for the new construction of a 71-unit family development and small commercial space. Bond proceeds will finance $9.98 million of the costs of construction and permanent financing.

The underlying portfolio consists of approximately 300 multifamily developments that were previously financed under or transferred into the resolution. The aggregate outstanding mortgage balance is approximately $1.7 billion.

The portfolio has a strong presence of insurance as approximately 68% of the portfolio is insured, primarily under the FHA risk-share program. Of the remaining 32%, approximately 64% receive federal or commonwealth subsidy payments.

The housing bond program has been the main source of funding for MHFA's multifamily loans over the last few years. The portfolio of loans is well-seasoned and its distribution aligns with the population density throughout the state of Massachusetts, with approximately 37% of the portfolio located in Boston. Fitch views a portfolio with 40% or more in one market area as being highly concentrated. Any potential concerns over this portfolio's geographic concentration are currently mitigated by the program's OC levels.

As of FY 2015 audited financial statements, the program had an asset parity ratio of 120%, a net interest spread of 27%, and a net operating margin of 18%. Additionally, the most recent consolidated third-party cash flow statements, which incorporate various Fitch interest-rate and bank bond stress scenarios, demonstrate a minimum asset parity ratio of 114% for the remaining life of the bonds.

This asset parity ratio demonstrates that the program OC position is sufficient to address Fitch stress scenarios for the current rating level. The portfolio has a strong history of performance and currently has only one delinquent mortgage, which represents less than 0.1% of the portfolio.

The general resolution permits various types of loan financings, including both new and existing single-family and multifamily mortgages. The potential for unexpected changes in the portfolio's loan composition is mitigated by MHFA's ongoing disclosure for the bond program, which Fitch continues to monitor. MassHousing's ability to withdraw assets down to the general resolution's requirement of 101% asset parity ratio could potentially present a concern if exercised. These areas of potential concern, however, are mitigated by the program's strong financial position and MassHousing's history of leaving sufficient excess assets within the resolution.

Relevant Committee Date: March 14, 2016

Additional information is available at 'www.fitchratings.com'.

Applicable Criteria

Rating Criteria for Pooled Multifamily Housing Bonds (pub. 03 Mar 2016)

https://www.fitchratings.com/site/re/875481

Revenue-Supported Rating Criteria (pub. 16 Jun 2014)

https://www.fitchratings.com/site/re/750012

Additional Disclosures

Solicitation Status

https://www.fitchratings.com/gws/en/disclosure/solicitation?pr_id=1011461

Endorsement Policy

https://www.fitchratings.com/jsp/creditdesk/PolicyRegulation.faces?context=2&detail=31

ALL FITCH CREDIT RATINGS ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS. PLEASE READ THESE LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS BY FOLLOWING THIS LINK: HTTP://FITCHRATINGS.COM/UNDERSTANDINGCREDITRATINGS. IN ADDITION, RATING DEFINITIONS AND THE TERMS OF USE OF SUCH RATINGS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE AGENCY'S PUBLIC WEBSITE 'WWW.FITCHRATINGS.COM'. PUBLISHED RATINGS, CRITERIA AND METHODOLOGIES ARE AVAILABLE FROM THIS SITE AT ALL TIMES. FITCH'S CODE OF CONDUCT, CONFIDENTIALITY, CONFLICTS OF INTEREST, AFFILIATE FIREWALL, COMPLIANCE AND OTHER RELEVANT POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FROM THE 'CODE OF CONDUCT' SECTION OF THIS SITE. FITCH MAY HAVE PROVIDED ANOTHER PERMISSIBLE SERVICE TO THE RATED ENTITY OR ITS RELATED THIRD PARTIES. DETAILS OF THIS SERVICE FOR RATINGS FOR WHICH THE LEAD ANALYST IS BASED IN AN EU-REGISTERED ENTITY CAN BE FOUND ON THE ENTITY SUMMARY PAGE FOR THIS ISSUER ON THE FITCH WEBSITE.

Contacts

Fitch Ratings
Primary Analyst
Maura McGuigan
Senior Director
+1-212-908-0591
Fitch Ratings, Inc.
33 Whitehall St
New York, NY 10004
or
Secondary Analyst
Kasia Reed
Analytical Consultant
+1-646-582-4864
or
Committee Chairperson
Mario Civico
Senior Director
+1-212-908-0796
or
Media Relations:
Elizabeth Fogerty, +1 212-908-0526
elizabeth.fogerty@fitchratings.com

Contacts

Fitch Ratings
Primary Analyst
Maura McGuigan
Senior Director
+1-212-908-0591
Fitch Ratings, Inc.
33 Whitehall St
New York, NY 10004
or
Secondary Analyst
Kasia Reed
Analytical Consultant
+1-646-582-4864
or
Committee Chairperson
Mario Civico
Senior Director
+1-212-908-0796
or
Media Relations:
Elizabeth Fogerty, +1 212-908-0526
elizabeth.fogerty@fitchratings.com