PEMBROKE, Bermuda--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AXIS Capital Holdings Limited (“AXIS Capital”) (NYSE:AXS) today announced that the Chairman of the Company’s Board of Directors, Michael A. Butt, was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at Insurance Day’s 15th annual awards program held in London on December 3rd.
“We are pleased to recognize Michael Butt’s contributions over nearly five decades in the industry,” said Michael Faulkner, Editor of Insurance Day. “Mr. Butt is a towering figure in the world of specialty insurance and reinsurance, having won the respect of colleagues and competitors alike, in Bermuda, in London, and indeed around the world.”
AXIS Capital joins the publication in recognizing Mr. Butt’s many contributions to the industry:
- Michael Butt joined the company as Chairman of the Board of AXIS Capital Holdings Limited in September 2002. He is also Chairman of the Board of AXIS Specialty Limited.
- From 1998 to August 2002, Mr. Butt was a Director of XL Capital Ltd.
- He was President and Chief Executive Officer of Mid Ocean Limited in Hamilton, Bermuda from 1993 to August 1998 when it was acquired by XL Capital Ltd.
- From 1987 to 1992, Mr. Butt served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Eagle Star Holdings plc and Eagle Star Insurance Company, London, England.
- From 1982 to 1986, Mr. Butt was the Chairman of Sedgwick Limited and Vice Chairman of the Sedgwick Group plc, London, England. He joined Bland Welch Insurance Brokers in 1964, which merged eventually to become Sedgwick Group PLC.
- He was on the Board of the Farmers Insurance Group, California, U.S.A. and BAT Industries, London, England from 1987 to 1991.
- Mr. Butt was also formerly a Director of Phoenix Securities Limited, London, England (1991-1992); Marceau Investissements S.A., Paris, France (1987-1992); and Instituto Nazionale delle Assicuranzioni (INA), Rome, Italy (1994-1998).
- Mr. Butt was a member of the INSEAD Board, Fontainebleau, France from 1982-2010 and was the Chairman of the INSEAD International Council from 1988-1991. He was also the Chairman of the Development Capital Campaign from 2002-2009 and is now a member of the Advisory Board.
- He has been a Member and Contributor of the Geneva Association since 1987.
- He was Vice Chairman of the Association of Bermuda International Companies (“ABIC”) and was Chairman of the Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers (“ABIR”) from January 2008 to December 2009.
- He was a Director of the Bank of Butterfield in Bermuda from 1996 to 2002. Mr. Butt was a Member of the Board of Trustees, Bermuda Biological Station for Research from 1996 to 2007.
- He was granted the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008 by the Bermuda Insurance Institute.
- Mr. Butt earned a B.A. in History from Magdalen College, Oxford, England, and an M.B.A. from INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France.
- In 2011, Mr. Butt was appointed as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire to commemorate his distinguished contributions over the past 20 years to Bermuda and the Reinsurance Industry.
- Mr. Butt resides in Bermuda, is married, and has three children.
About AXIS Capital
AXIS Capital is a Bermuda-based global provider of specialty lines insurance and treaty reinsurance with shareholders’ equity attributable to AXIS Capital at September 30, 2015 of $5.8 billion and locations in Bermuda, the United States, Europe, Singapore, Canada, Australia and Latin America. Its operating subsidiaries have been assigned a rating of “A+” (“Strong”) by Standard & Poor’s and “A+” (“Superior”) by A.M. Best. For more information about AXIS Capital, visit our website at www.axiscapital.com.