BOSTON, LONDON & TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The immuno-oncology agents Keytruda and Opdivo have already transformed the cancer care landscape. Now specialists are pairing them with approved or experimental agents to improve on their already impressive efficacy, according to the “PD-1/PD-L1 Combination Therapies” report from EP Vantage, the editorial arm of market intelligence firm Evaluate Ltd. The EP Vantage analysis has identified over 150 PD-1/PD-L1 combinations currently in clinical development.
Key findings of the PD-1/PD-L1 Combination Therapies report include:
- More than half of the agents paired with PD-1 and PD-L1 projects are small molecules, chemotherapies and established drugs.
- Yervoy is the most widely studied monoclonal antibody combination agent.
- Lung cancer and melanoma remain the two most popular indications for combination products.
- A number of products including atezolizumab and durvalumab are already being tested in combination, even before achieving approval from the FDA or European Medicines Agency.
- Older therapies such as oncolytic viruses and vaccines that have so far disappointed as monotherapies might benefit from the combination approach.
“The past couple of years have seen an explosion in clinical studies of the novel checkpoint agents with a variety of other pharmacology approaches, and results from these will soon start to emerge,” said the report’s author and EP Vantage reporter, Jacob Plieth. “These new combination approaches could be vital to sustaining the biotech bull run. As investors’ enthusiasm for the biopharma sector has cooled in recent months, data confirming the additive effect of immuno-oncology combinations could provide important stock catalysts.”
Beyond looking at the clinical impact of these combinations, the report also includes the rationale for combining therapies, the most promising candidates in development, a detailed look at differing company combination strategies and the cost implications of combinations.
About Evaluate Ltd
Evaluate is the trusted source for life science market intelligence and analysis with exclusive consensus forecasts to 2020. Our services include EvaluatePharma, EvaluateClinical Trials and EvaluateMedTech. Our award-winning editorial team, EP Vantage, leverages our strategic analysis to cut through the noise, giving you daily opinion and insights. The Evaluate services enable the life science community to make sound business decisions about value and opportunity. For more information please visit www.evaluate.com. On Twitter: @evaluatepharma, @evaluatemedtech, @evaluateJP @epclinicaltrial, @epvantage.