SAVANNAH, Ga.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Paula Deen’s new cookbook, Paula Deen Cuts the Fat: 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up is on sale today. Deen shares lightened up versions of fifty of her classic southern recipes, plus two hundred new and exciting healthier recipes for everyone to enjoy. For the first time ever, learn how to re-create the authentic, southern meals Paula is known for, with a little less butter, salt and sugar.
“It is not about dieting – it is about living a healthier life. You can enjoy everything in moderation. It’s amazing how little changes can give you big results,” said Paula Deen. “You don’t have to lose any of the delicious tastes and flavors that we all love! This book will help you achieve your goals.”
Hot on the heels of Paula announcing that she will join Season 21 of Dancing with the Stars, she shares her personal journey and secrets on how she lost and maintains a forty-pound weight loss.
Paula Deen Cuts the Fat: 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up is perfect for anyone looking to lose weight, control your blood sugar, lower high cholesterol or just eat healthier meals. These recipes prove that you do not have to give up taste when reducing calories.
With over 416 pages of 250 mouthwatering, easy-to-follow recipes; Paula’s cooking tips sprinkled throughout; and plenty of new food, friends and family photographs; this book is a must-have.
50 of Paula’s favorite classic recipes lightened up include:
- All-New Peach Cobbler – The sugar from Paula’s original recipe is cut in half and a quarter of the butter is used.
- The Lady’s New Cheesy Mac – The Low-fat cream cheese replaces sour cream and four tablespoons of butter is removed.
- Everyone’s Favorite Pimiento Cheese – The fat and calories from the mayonnaise is removed by replacing it with Greek yogurt.
- New Savannah Gumbo – The butter and flour in the roux is decreased and eight ounces of chicken sausage replaces a pound of smoked sausage.
- Memphis Dry Rub Ribs – The ribs are portion controlled by switching smaller spareribs for meatier baby back ribs. Excess fat on the ribs is trimmed off and half of the amount of sugar in the rub is used compared to the classic rub’s recipe.
- Beaufort Shrimp Pie – The bacon is replaced with good for you leafy spinach and nutritional powerhouse quinoa replaces breadcrumbs.
- Nutty Sweet Potato Balls – The sugar is decreased and the sweetness is balanced with a crunchy nutty coating and a surprise toasted pecan in the center.
200 brand new recipes that cut the calories and fat but not the delicious taste include:
- Crabby Shrimp Dip
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Better-Than-Basic Meat Loaf
- Southwest Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Flourless Chocolate Fudge Cake
Paula’s tips on how to reduce the calories while keeping the delicious taste include:
- Use low-fat cream cheese or Greek yogurt in some dishes and about a third less butter and other fats.
- Replace some sugar with honey and use less sugar and salt overall, cut by about a third to a half.
- Incorporate whole-wheat flours and pastas.
- Substitute panfrying or sautéing instead of deep-frying.
Paula is living proof that you can enjoy good cookin’ and eatin’ and still be healthy!
About Paula Deen:
Paula Deen has sold over 11 million copies of her 14 cookbooks. Deen’s first live tour, “Paula Deen Live!” commenced in June 2014, and featured cooking demonstrations, games, and stories with Paula and her fans. In September 2014, Paula Deen Ventures launched the “Paula Deen Network," a subscriber-based interactive digital experience that broadcasts a variety of exclusive content featuring Paula anytime, anywhere. She showcases her signature Southern dishes and simple, healthy meals in a fun, unscripted format on a daily basis with all-new recipes, episodes and cooking tools. The Lady & Sons, the Savannah, Georgia restaurant Paula founded with her sons, Jamie and Bobby Deen, remains one of the country’s most popular regional restaurants. On March 11, 2015, Paula launched her first free mobile game, Paula Deen’s Recipe Quest. In April 2015, she opened her new restaurant, Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen, in Pigeon Forge, TN. In May 2015, Paula Deen Ventures launched Paula’s podcast, Get Cooking with Paula Deen, and radio show, What’s Cooking with Paula Deen. On September 8, 2015, Paula released her new cookbook, Paula Deen Cuts The Fat: 250 Favorite Recipes All Lightened Up. Paula can be seen on the current season of Dancing with the Stars, premiering on September 14th on ABC. Deen’s robust social media following includes Facebook (4.5 million likes), Twitter (1.43 million followers) and Pinterest (271,900 followers). Paula Deen Ventures is headquartered in Savannah, Georgia, with offices in New York.