PROVIDENCE, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Verizon customers in Rhode Island are enjoying all of the benefits of America’s most reliable network, according to the Rhode Island RootScore® Report, conducted by Seattle-based RootMetrics. Additionally, this marks the fourth consecutive time Verizon’s wireless network has been acknowledged as the leader in overall performance among national wireless service providers in the U.S.
Scores are based on RootMetrics testing performed from January through June 2015. The company evaluated all four U.S. wireless providers in six network performance categories: overall, reliability, speed, data, call, and text performance.
The results are in and Verizon tied the Overall RootScore award in the state of Rhode Island, scoring 96.3, and was also tied for first in reliability and call network performance.
RootMetrics uses scientific methods to conduct their rigorous testing regimen, based on where people actually use their mobile devices. Using off-the-shelf, unaltered smartphones, RootMetrics staff drove over 1,000 miles and included over 30 indoor locations to measure and analyze key performance indicators which provide an unbiased characterization of network attributes in the state of Rhode Island.
“We’re proud to receive this independent validation of Verizon Wireless’ network leadership in Rhode Island and across New England,” commented Dave MacBeth, Executive Director of Network for Verizon Wireless. “We’ve reinvested over $4 billion into our wireless networks across New England since 2000, including $172 million in enhancements during the first half of 2015. It’s our culture of ‘continuous improvement’ that drives us to innovate and deploy new technologies in support of our customers who rely on their devices, apps and accessories every day.”
This year Verizon has enhanced its network across New England by adding cell sites and deploying new technologies such as small cells and distributed antenna systems. In addition to network enhancements previously announced in April, Verizon Wireless most recently added new coverage in the following communities:
- Barrington, in the vicinity of Bradford Drive, Cedar Avenue, Highland Avenue, Holly Lane, Joyce Street, Nayatt Road, Rumstick Road, Sowams Road, and Washington Road
- Cumberland, along Route 114, Colonial Avenue and Diamond Hill Road
- Narragansett, in the vicinity of Anawan Drive, Bonnet Shores Road, Boston Neck Road, Burbank Road, Conanicus Road, Diane Road, Mettatuxet Road, Old Boston Neck Road, Treasure Road, and Woodbridge Road
- Tiverton, along Highland Court, Main Avenue and Reed Street in the area of the Sakonnet Bridge towards Aquidneck Island
- Warren, in the vicinity of Union Street
- West Warwick, in the vicinity of the Route 2 and Route 3 junction
In addition the company has augmented existing XLTE coverage in several Rhode Island communities. XLTE uses Verizon’s AWS (Advanced Wireless Services) spectrum to double 4G LTE bandwidth in cities coast to coast, with faster peak speeds and greater capacity than before. This means that more wireless interactions can occur with more people in the same location, so more customers can send photos, download videos, surf the internet, and use real-time navigation throughout the following Ocean State communities, all due to recent XLTE enhancements:
- North Kingstown
While Verizon took the honors in Rhode Island, it also outranked the competition nationally with the most wins or ties in five state categories:
- 47 states for Overall Performance (vs. 12 wins/ties for the nearest competitor)
- 44 states for Network Reliability (vs. 15 wins/ties for the nearest competitor)
- 44 states for Network Speed (vs. 7 wins/ties for the nearest competitor)
- 46 states for Data Performance (vs. 6 wins/ties for the nearest competitor)
- 45 states for Call Performance (vs. 19 wins/ties for the nearest competitor)
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering the promise of the digital world. Verizon Wireless operates America’s most reliable wireless network, with 109.5 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America’s most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers worldwide. A Fortune 15 company with more than $127 billion in 2014 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 178,500. For more information, visit www.verizon.com/news/.
VERIZON’S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at Verizon’s online News Center at www.verizon.com/news/. The news releases are available through an RSS feed. To subscribe, visit www.verizon.com/about/rss-feeds/.
Network rankings based on RootMetrics US National, State, Airport RootScore Reports, covering January– June 2015. Performance rankings of four mobile networks rely on scores calculated from random samples across all available network types. Your experiences may vary. The RootMetrics award is not an endorsement of Verizon. Visit www.rootmetrics.com for more details.