DURHAM, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SMT, the leading provider of data integration, graphics presentation and video enhancement solutions to live sports and entertainment television and events, will provide fan-engagement technology solutions for NBC Sports Group’s broadcast of the Belmont Stakes. This year marks the fifth consecutive Triple Crown collaboration between SMT and NBC Sports Group and is particularly exciting as American Pharoah pursues the elusive trophy.
SMT’s suite of products will allow NBC viewers to absorb real-time statistical information through innovative and compelling visual elements for Saturday’s race, as it has for the Preakness Stakes and the Kentucky Derby.
- SMT’s Live Leaderboard System highlights the running order of the top six horses using positional data updated 30 times per second per horse, ensuring accuracy and speed for SMT’s on-air graphic presentation.
- ISO Track® incorporates real-time data such as a horse’s speed, current standing and distance from finish line into an on-air pointer graphic, helping even casual viewers follow the action.
- The ticker produces an on-air display of real-time odds and bet payouts using live data from the race’s Tote provider (in-house wagering system). The ticker also curates and visually displays social media feeds from viewers, broadcast team members, jockeys and more.
- The SMART® System visually inserts distance-to-finish indicators along the track. The SMART® System will alert viewers when horses are at the 300-yard, 200-yard, 100-yard and finish line.
- The Track Map System gives viewers a sense of the lead horse’s real-time position and split times for the lead horse via an on-screen graphic.
- The Data Matrix® (DMX) Switchboard provides a customized solution for each Triple Crown race that absorbs, collates and synchronizes live data feeds into SMT’s proprietary Live Horse Racing database. The DMX Switchboard integrates live data and time-coded data into on-air and off-air graphics in real-time and replay modes, enhancing NBC’s live race presentation and pre- and post-race analysis.
“SMT’s deep understanding of horse racing telecasts has enabled us to further showcase the sport through data-driven on-air graphics,” said Rob Hyland, coordinating producer for NBC Sports Group. “This data helps our analysts illustrate the sport’s subtleties to avid horse racing fans as well as those who are more casual viewers.”
With a Triple Crown in play, this is expected to be one of the most-watched races in the history of the sport as American Pharoah will attempt to become the first horse to win the Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978.
“SMT will deploy a team of technicians to Belmont Park to ensure our analysis tools and data-integrated graphics provide NBC Sports Group with another exciting – and possibly historic – telecast of the Belmont,” said Don Tupper, vice president of business development at SMT. “We will be there every step of the way during NBC and NBCSN’s comprehensive coverage, assisting with our real-time statistical features.”
Coverage of the 147th Belmont Stakes begins with the pre-race broadcast at 2:30 p.m. ET Saturday on NBCSN; the race commences at 4:30 p.m. ET on NBC; and post-race coverage is at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
SMT is the leading innovator in real-time data delivery and graphics solutions for the sports and entertainment industries, providing clients with scoring, statistics, virtual insertion and messaging for broadcasts and live events. SMT’s solutions have been used at the world’s most prestigious live events, including the Super Bowl and NBC Sunday Night Football, major golf and tennis events, the Indianapolis 500, the NCAA Tournament, ESPN X Games, NBA on TNT, NASCAR events and NHL games. SMT’s clients include major broadcasters as well as regional and specialty networks, organizing bodies, event operators, sponsors and teams. For more information, visit smt.com.