TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Google’s new mobile-friendly algorithm update, which is expected to prioritize mobile-friendly websites in search results, goes into effect on April 21 and digital marketers have mixed views on whether this change will impact their business. To gauge marketer sentiment and gather opinions on this significant change, gShift conducted a survey of more than 275 digital marketers across a variety of industries including retail, travel and automotive. Highlights from the survey results, announced today by gShift, revealed the following:
- More than half of survey the respondents, 52 percent, believe their business will be affected by the upcoming Google mobile ranking algorithm update. However, 20 percent responded that the change will not impact their business and 28 percent stated they are unsure.
- In terms of preparing for the change, more than 65 percent of survey respondents answered affirmatively to the question, “Is your company factoring in mobile strategies for SEO and content marketing in order to accommodate mobile search since learning about this change from Google?” However, 20 percent reported that they are going to wait and see.
- When it comes to website traffic, the majority of respondents reported that between 11-50 percent of their traffic comes from mobile devices. Specifically, more than 35 percent reported mobile makes up between 11-50 percent of their website traffic.
- In response to the question, “Do you think your website is currently mobile friendly?” more than 68 percent of survey respondents answered yes.
- Nearly half of the respondents stated that they currently do not use any tools to track their keyword rankings on desktop versus mobile.
“As mobile searches continue to eclipse the desktop, digital marketers are keenly aware of the importance of having a well defined mobile strategy. Yet they also know that it must align with the needs of their target audience and complement their other channels, such as social and content marketing,” said Krista LaRiviere, CEO and co-founder of gShift. “Since there are many roads that lead customers to your door, savvy digital marketers are carefully and regularly assessing their results across all of their channels so they can effectively map and execute successful, cross-channel and cross-device campaigns.”
The survey was issued between March 25 – April 2 and more than 65 percent of participants were senior level decisions makers with titles ranging from director to CMO. To see the full survey results, visit the gShift blog: http://www.gshiftlabs.com/half-of-marketers-say-mobile-seo-will-impact-their-search-rankings/
gShift’s industry leading Web Presence Analytics Software Platform helps Brand and Agency teams efficiently understand and improve on the impact and engagement of a company’s content across its web presence. gShift’s software infrastructure has been collecting and storing web presence data since 2009. More than 10,000 brands in 24 countries benefit from gShift’s insight data and software, as they optimize their time to improve the discoverability and the sharing of their content. gShift placed 29th on the PROFIT HOT 50.