FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Staples (NASDAQ: SPLS) fourth annual survey in honor of Administrative Professionals’ Day on April 22 highlights the growing workload of administrative assistants across the United States and Canada. More than half the admins report supporting more staff than the previous year, following a trend found in the past three surveys. The survey also showed budget and payroll (46.7 percent), human resources (43.9 percent) and helping out on social media (23.1 percent) were the top three additional activities admins take on above and beyond their normal responsibilities.
“Staples’ survey highlights how admins are the backbone of businesses everywhere,” said Mike Edwards, executive vice president, merchandising, Staples. “Administrative Professionals’ Day is a perfect opportunity to recognize these office VIPs who make more happen at their businesses, and Staples makes it easy to find the perfect gift for every administrative professional.”
The survey also found:
- Admins vs. Bosses: Admins were rated as better creative problem solvers (57.4 vs. 42.5 percent) and more tech-savvy (43.4 vs. 29 percent) than their bosses. Respondents also said admins have a better sense of humor (58.7 vs. 46.1 percent), are a better team player (61.5 vs. 44.4 percent) and were more likely to be described as a friend (44.3 vs. 29.4 percent) than the boss.
- Loyal: Close to half (45.6 percent) have been with their current company for six or more years.
- Social Media Savvy: The majority (84.3 percent) said admins are proficient in social media.
- Non-Existent Virtual Assistant: Nearly all non-admin respondents report (93.9 percent) they have never used a virtual assistant.
- Historical Figures vs. Movie Star: When admins were asked who they would most enjoy as their boss, historical figures topped the list in the United States, while movie stars ranked as number one in Canada.
Nearly 8 out of 10 survey participants feel their company does a good job at making the administrative assistant feel appreciated. Administrative Professionals’ Day on April 22 is the perfect time for colleagues and bosses to continue showing their appreciation. Staples offers the right gift for every admin on their list whether it’s in-store, on staples.com or staples.ca or through mobile, including:
- A Staples® Arc customizable leather notebook system
- A Keurig® coffee brewer
- A stylish, ergonomic Staples® Professional Series Chair that will keep them comfortable all day (US only)
- Desk accessories that inspire from the Style at Staples collection of must-have brands including Cynthia Rowley, Paperchase, Poppin and Moleskine (US only)
- Eco-friendly office products to help them stay organized
- A powerful, Staples® Space-Saver 10-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder, that’s hassle-free and compact to fit under the desk
- A Staples gift card, so they can choose their perfect product themselves
In celebration of Administrative Professionals’ Day, Staples teamed up with Erika Paige Handley (@E_paige) and Alex Kattan (@SettlerofKattan), assistants to Patti Stanger of Bravo’s The Millionaire Matchmaker, and Bryan Gibbs (@TheBryanGibbs), assistant to Susan Sarandon. Lindsey Holder (@SavvyAssistants) and New York Celebrity Assistants (@NYCelebAssts) are also part of the initiative with Staples to celebrate Administrative Professionals’ Day. These people and organizations will be joining Staples on April 22, 2015 from 1-2 p.m. (EDT) to host a Twitter party in honor of admins. Follow their handles along with @Staples and @StaplesCanada and use the #CelebrateAdmins hashtag to join the conversation and enter to win great prizes, including amazing tech items and office products.
About the Survey
This survey of 1,561 admins and non-admins was conducted using SurveyMonkey.com and was live from March 9, 2015 – March 31, 2015.
Staples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples lets customers shop however and whenever they want, whether it’s in-store, online, on mobile devices, or through the company’s innovative buy online, pick-up in store option. Staples offers more products than ever, such as technology, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, safety supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.